Student faces drug charges with WPD

On Sunday at approximately 3:30 p.m., Campus Safety and Security received an anonymous tip reporting the smell of marijuana in a first-year’s room in Dennett. Per Security’s protocol, Security contacted the Williamstown Police Department (WPD) and Security officers and a WPD officer reported to Dennett.

“An officer responded to Dennett after notifying the Williamstown Police Department per our agreement with them,” Steve Klass, vice president for campus life, said. “A police officer responded at about the same time as a second Campus Safety officer.”

Upon responding to the room, the WPD officer found two male students, one a first-year resident of Dennett and the other a junior who was visiting the friend. While Security and the WPD were questioning the resident in the hallway, the junior attempted to flee and pushed a WPD officer out of his way as he exited the dorm room. According to Klass, the junior punched and kicked the WPD officer and Security officers as they attempted to pursue him. WPD Chief Kyle Johnson said that the WPD officer followed the student and requested the backup of another WPD officer and Security officers. The fleeing student was apprehended after a “short foot pursuit and struggle,” according to Johnson.

After restraining the student, he was brought to WPD headquarters where he was booked and released on bail. The student has been charged with assault and battery of a police officer, two counts of assault and battery of Security officers, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and possession of a Class A drug, as he was found in possession of LSD. The student was also issued a civil citation of possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.

The other male party in the altercation cooperated with Security and WPD. He has been issued a civil citation of possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, but no further charges have been filed.

Comments (3)