Men’s lax sets sights on resurgent season

After a disappointing 3-10 season in 2012, men’s lacrosse is “eager to put in the work required to make noise in the NESCAC this year,” tri-captain Mack von Mehren ’13 said. The team is ready to jump into regular season play after several promising scrimmages in the last few weeks. The men will show the skills they have worked hard to build over a long preseason this Saturday at Wesleyan.

Despite a few disappointing finishes in recent seasons, the team is definitely optimistic “to reverse that trend and become a team that wins on a consistent basis,” von Mehren said.

“Our goals every year are to win the Little Three Title and then win the NESCAC Championship, but that starts by winning one game at a time,” tri-captain Will Stewart ’13 said. Von Mehren described this season’s most daunting goal as familiarizing younger players with college level competition, especially after graduating eight seniors last year. Several rookies are expected to play significant time, and providing them experience at this level will be a necessity for the team’s success. Luckily the men’s most challenging game, against Amherst on Apr. 20, is late in the season, giving the rookies plenty of time to acclimate themselves to the intricacies of college play.

The Ephs are led by von Mehren on defense, Stewart in midfield and tri-captain Evan DeDominicis ’13 on offense. Von Mehren pointed out David Lee ’14 and Steven Kiesel ’15 as key players to the men’s efforts, particularly in bringing the rookies up-to-speed. Von Mehren also recognized Andrew Grabowski ’15 as a “great attackman” who “takes a lot of hits but never stops playing hard.”

In addition to strong upperclassmen, the men will add 13 rookies to the roster this season. The Ephs will especially depend on their first-years to contribute on the field, as they roster only four seniors this year.

“We have some freshmen that will be impact players for us this year on a young team with only four seniors,” Stewart said. “We knew coming in that they were a talented bunch of guys, but did not know that they would be able to adapt so quickly to the college game,” von Mehren said. “They have been doing a phenomenal job in practice and quite a few of them are going to see considerable time, some even as starters.”

At midfield, Tanner Macivor ’16 and Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16 will look to impress. Jackson Lauroesch ’16 and Conor Roddy ’16 will look to make an impact on offense, while Brendan Bossidy ’16 and Ryan Hamilton ’16 are expected to do well on defense.

Unfortunately, John Maimone-Medwick ’15, whom von Mehren recognized as one of the best defensive players on the team, suffered a torn Achilles tendon one week before the men’s first practice and will be out for the entire season. “[Maimone-Medwick] was shaping up to be one of the most feared defenders in the conference this season, and he will be sorely missed,” Stewart said. The rest of the team remains poised for victory, setting their sights on NESCAC rivals and looking to prove themselves in a new season.

The men travel to Middletown, Conn., this Saturday to take on Wesleyan at 1 p.m. “Every in-conference game is a challenge in the NESCAC and starting off on the right foot with a win at Wesleyan is going to be huge for us,” Stewart said.