Marks breaks quarters at CSAs

After a great season, tri-captain Nick Marks ’13 earned a berth in the Molloy Division at the College Squash Association Individual Championships last weekend. On Friday morning, Marks won in three games against Andrew McComas from Haverford. In the Round of 32, Marks bested Mostafa Homada, the No. 8 player from Trinity. After winning the first and third games, Marks dropped the fourth game. However, he rallied back, winning the fifth game 11-6 and taking the match.

On Saturday, Marks matched up against Navy’s No. 1 player, Andrew McGuinness in the Round of 16. After losing the first, Marks gained the momentum and easily took the second and third games, 11-2 and 11-6, respectively. McGuinness fought back and won the fourth game, but Marks put him away with an 11-7 victory in the fifth.

This win advanced Marks to the quarterfinals where he faced the University of Rochester’s No. 6 player, Karm Kumar. After trading the first two games with Kumar, both with scores of 11-9, Marks dropped the third. He battled back in the fourth, winning 11-8 to force a fifth game. Marks could not close out the final game, however, and lost 11-8. Marks’ quarterfinal finish is the best individual result by a Williams’ squash player in the last four years.

“His quarterfinal finish, which included a win over the No. 3 seed, is good for an overall top 40 ranking,” tri-captain Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13 said.

With CSA Individual Championships over, men’s squash ends its season. Five players ended their careers as Ephs: Marks, Greaves-Tunnell, Julian Drobetsky ’13, Ryan Eagan ’14 and tri-captain Jack Ervasti ’13.