Henry, Rubin showcase talent at CSA Individuals

Five members of the women’s squash team participated in the last competition of the season last Friday to Sunday at the College Squash Association (CSA) Individual Championships. All five members of the Williams team who were selected competed in the Holleran Division of the four-division tournament. Alyssa Northrop ’14 was defeated 3-1 in the Round of 64 by Jacqueline Shea of George Washington who was defeated 3-1 by co-captain Laura Henry ’13 in the women’s Kurtz Cup final victory on Feb. 17. Damindhi Udangawa beat Ellie O’Neill ’15 in three games in the Round of 64. Nicole Feshbach ’16, who received a first round bye, lost in the Round of 32 to Annie Ballaine of Yale, but not without winning one game.

Co-captains Alli Rubin ’13 and Henry were both named First Team All-NESCAC for the 2012-13 season before this contest, and they lived up to their titles. Rubin handed her first round opponent, Samantha Rosado of Mount Holyoke, a decisive 3-0 victory and fought hard against Madeleine Gill of Stanford, eventually losing 3-2. Henry won her match in the first round 3-1, defeating Torey Lee of Bowdoin for the second time this season and then lost to Alexandra Sawin of Princeton 3-0 in the Round of 32.

“We competed against some of the best teams in the country, and it’s always worthwhile to be challenged in that sense,” O’Neill said. “Overall it was a great way to end the season, playing matches without the same pressure of winning  [for the team] and more for the fun of the game.”

The team finished its season two weekends ago ranked No. 10 in the nation with a 17-11 overall record. With the completion of CSA Individual Championships, the women will graduate six seniors: Katherine Belk ’13, Mia Fry ’13, Hannah Kaemmer ’13, Hollis Miller ’13, Henry and Rubin.