Ephs strive for dominant season

After a difficult year that saw women’s lacrosse finish ninth in the NESCAC at the conclusion of the 2012 season, the women are gearing up for a rebound season in which they hope to take the conference by storm.

The women lost five seniors to graduation last spring, including tri-captains Tyler Chapman ’12, Margie Fulton ’12 and Meera Sivalingam ’12 as well as key players Katie Ellis ’12 and Taylor Fleishhacker ’12. The addition of six freshmen and a number of athletes’ recoveries from injury for this spring have given the team reason to look forward to this year’s competitions.

The incoming freshmen include Molly Belk ’16, Natalie Gill ’16, Anne Rehfuss ’16 and Micaela Dussel ’16 who will all battle for playing time in the midfield in their first seasons as Ephs. Alyssa Maddalone ’16 on attack and Corey Michon ’16 as a goal keeper will also look to make an impact as rookies.

Alyssa Amos ’15 and Hillary Cook ’15 are another two new additions for the Ephs. Cook, playing in the midfield, transfered from Wesleyan where she played lacrosse her freshman year. Amos will play her first season for the Ephs in the midfield as well.

“They are a really talented and athletic group,” co-captain Grace Horwitz ’13 said of the Class of 2016 recruits. “I think they will add a lot of speed to the midfield. We lost a few of our top scorers to graduation last year … so I’m hoping they will step up on attack and score some goals for us.”

This year’s squad is led by Horwitz and co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13. Other seniors looking to make an impact are Elizabeth Ryan ’13 on defense and Alex Sera ’13 on attack. Emily Whicker ’13 and Amanda Weber ’13 will make contributions in the midfield as well in their final year at Williams.

Thus far, the team’s focus has been on building a solid foundation from which the women can work throughout the spring. “I think our focus has been on basic fundamentals and improving communication on the field,” Horwitz said. She also emphasized that the team’s goals this season include “to perform well against our NESCAC opponents. It’s a really competitive league, so every game is a new challenge.”

The women will kick off their season this weekend with a noon home game against Wesleyan on Saturday. They will next compete at Springfield at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

“We’re really excited for our opener against Wesleyan,” Horwitz said. “I think our team has all the ingredients for a really great season.”