Creative campus jobs

If you have some free time on your hands and are looking for a couple of extra dollars to finance those daily trips to Tunnel City, taking up a campus job is the natural course of action. If you’re not up for swiping cards or bussing tables, however, it seems at first glance that the College has very little to offer by way of employment opportunities. Fear not: This week, we decided to highlight some of the more obscure, more unique and perhaps, more interesting jobs on campus. 

ellen finch

THE SOCIAL CALENDAR

Ellen Finch ’16 works behind the scenes at the Williams Social Calendar. This particular campus job, however, is much more than finding jokes to attach to those trusty Thursday night emails. The work, which totals around three hours a week, includes monitoring events submitted to the calendar and ensuring that all of them are ready for publishing. Everything must then be formatted and color-coded before they are sent to the entire student body. And let’s not forget the “goofy little poems,” as Finch calls them, which always accompany the colorful emails! When asked about the best part of her job, Finch replied that “Every once in a while I’ll get replies from people (usually who I’ve never met before) just telling me that they really enjoyed the joke or poem that week – it never fails to make my day!”

ryann noe

THE WILLIAMS BAKESHOP

The workday for students in the Williams Bakeshop starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 9 a.m. Despite the early hours, Bakeshop assistant Ryann Noe ’16 says that her work there still comes with its perks. “Generally, my responsibilities are helping out Michael Menard [the lead baker] and the other bakers with making the desserts, breads and pizza dough that is served to the students,” Noe said. “Essentially any dessert seen in the dining halls is made fresh in the bakeshop, and I assist in making them.” She says the best part of the job is “when there is extra dough and I get to take home fresh baked bread.” And then there’s the behind-the-scenes look at the College’s kitchens that you would not get at any other job. “The chefs do a lot of gluten-free baking,” she said, “and it has been pretty amazing to see the tricks used to make gluten-free desserts taste the same as those with [gluten].”

shadman

GRAVEYARD SHIFT AT SAWYER

Early birds aren’t the only ones with convenient jobs – night owls have the midnight to 2:30 a.m. shift at Sawyer. “It’s actually a pretty sweet deal,” librarian Shadman Rahman ’16 said, “I’m up until 2:30 or 3 [a.m.] anyway. This job lets me make the most of my messed-up sleep schedule.” One task other student employees at the library don’t ordinarily have the chance to do is ring the “nerd bell” at the end of Sawyer’s operating hours. “Nerd-belling people is by far the best part [of the job],” Rahman said of the multi-step process. “The nerd bell sounds like a jail bell and Sawyer looks like a prison, so I had the idea of chiming the bell to tunes of songs,” Rahman said. But since the nerd bell only has one pitch, his effort to make the sound more appealing didn’t work. “My friends just thought someone was nerd-belling really badly,” Rahman said of his attempts to play songs.

Adriana

’62 CENTER PHOTOGRAPHER

A less visible job is photographing for the ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance. “I actually had no idea that there were student photographers at the ’62 Center until I went in to interview the manager when I was updating the tour guide manual over the summer after my sophomore year,” Adriana van der Linden ’13 said. “It’s been a fantastic experience. It lets me see a side of the College that I wasn’t making the time to experience, and has pushed me to see performances that I otherwise wouldn’t have gone to. My favorite shoot has to have been photographing the dancers from the New York City Ballet last year when they came and gave a master class. Their image is normally so controlled that not very many photographers outside of their own organization get to work with them,” van der Linden said.