Women’s track claims 17th at NEICAAAs

Women’s indoor track and field had a strong showing at the New England NEICAAA Indoor Track and Field Championship hosted by Boston University last Friday and Saturday. The women finished in 17th overall. The University of Connecticut won the meet.

Julie Paschal ’13 had a great performance in the high jump, placing ninth and clearing 1.70 meters, a jump that placed her fourth on the national qualifying list and tied her school record. In the pole vault, Jenna Adams ’14 cleared a height of 3.55 meters, placing sixth.

Tri-captains Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and Brooke Johnson ’13 competed in the triple jump, coming in third and sixth, respectively. Hoffler jumped a distance of 11.85 meters, and Johnson jumped 11.76 meters, placing her 10th on the national qualifying list.

Hoffler also competed in the 60-meter hurdles. She had an outstanding race with a personal best time of 8.80 seconds, placing fifth and setting a new school record.

The women finished off the meet with a strong 11th-place finish in the 4×400. The team of Amanda Murashige ’14, Ashley Graves ’15, Diana Mejia ’15 and Desiree Daring ’13 ran an incredible race with a time of 3:52.83, which was an impressive 12 seconds faster than their race last week and set them up with one of the top 10 fastest times in the country for Div. III track and field.

“I was very excited about some key performances, including Julie’s 1.70 to put her tied at fourth, the 4×4’s qualifying and my own jump that solidified my spot at Nationals,” Johnson said. “That gives us a strong standing at Nationals, not just as individuals, but as a team. We’re looking forward to being able to do damage as a team at Nationals.”

The team has an exciting and challenging couple of weeks ahead, competing at the Tuft’s Last Chance Meet this weekend and then in Naperville, Ill., at North Central University for the NCAA Indoor Championship meet on March 8 to 9.