Men’s squash battles to ‘B’ Division final

After defeating Bates 6-3 on Friday and Columbia 6-3 on Saturday, men’s squash (16-11, 6-0 in the NESCAC) advanced to play Western Ontario in the ‘B’ Division finals at the National Championship on Sunday at Yale, eventually losing 7-2 to end its season.

Against Bates on Saturday, the team got off to a great start with two three-game victories from tri-captain Jack Ervasti ’13 at No. 6 and Taylor Foehl ’14 at No. 3. Ryan Eagan ’13 at No. 9 gave the men their third win with a strong comeback after dropping his first two games. Michael Petrick ’16 also got the team a five-game win after a highly contested match at No. 7. After losing the first game, tri-captain Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13 won the next two at No. 4, but ultimately lost the match in five. Kevin Chen ’15 and Julian Drobetsky ’13 also lost their matches at Nos. 1 and 5, respectively. Chen lost in three while Drobetsky lost in four tight matches. The final two wins of the day came from No. 8 Andy Maruca ’14 and No. 2 tri-captain Nick Marks ’13 to bring the score to 6-3 in Williams’ favor.

In the semifinals, the men faced Columbia. Foehl and Petrick both won their matches in three games. Alec Greaves-Tunnell turned his day around with a four-game win. After dropping his first game 6-11, he stormed back to take the next three games. Drobetsky traded games with his opponent, eventually losing in five close games. Ervasti and Maruca completed the win for the men, taking their matches in five and four games, respectively, and sending the men to the finals with a 6-3 win.

“Bates and Columbia are two very competitive teams, so beating them on back-to-back days was definitely an accomplishment,” Foehl said.

On Sunday, the men took on Western Ontario in the finals. After falling down 2-1, the Ephs did not recover. The two lone victories came from Ervasti and Drobetsky. Ervasti won three straight games after dropping the first, while Drobetsky was also acquired the win after four well-fought games. In the clinching match, Petrick started a brave fourth-game comeback after losing two of the first three games, but was unable to hold off the Western Ontario player, eventually losing the game and the match. Alec Greaves-Tunnell won the first two games of his match, but couldn’t maintain his momentum and lost 11-9 in an emotional fifth game. The men fell to Western Ontario 7-2, taking second in the ‘B’ Division final.

The Ephs finished the season in 10th place. The men will graduate four seniors this year, Ervasti, Drobetsky, Alec Greaves-Tunnell and Eagan. A few individuals will compete at the CSA Individual Championships at Trinity this weekend.