Athletes of the Week: Paul Dyrkacz ’13 and Geordie Lonza ’13

Paul Dyrkacz ’13
Men’s swimming
Wilbraham, Mass.

Paul Dyrkacz ’13
Paul Dyrkacz ’13

Paul is a super talent and probably the most versatile swimmer ever to swim at Williams. His work ethic is outstanding. He had some very good swims this past weekend and has his sights set on NCAAs in a few weeks. The team will greatly miss Paul along with the rest of his classmates next year.

-Steve Kuster
Head Coach

Dyrkacz won Swimmer of the Meet as well as Senior High Scoring Point honors last weekend at NESCAC championships, where his impressive performances helped boost the Ephs to their 11th consecutive conference title. He set a new NESCAC and Williams record in the final heat of the 200 breaststroke, touching at 1:59.68. Dyrkacz also set a new pool record in the 400 IM, which he won in 3:57.10.

Geordie Lonza ’13
Women’s alpine skiing
Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Geordie Lonza ’13
Geordie Lonza ’13

Watching Geordie fight back from a mid-season slump to close her carnival career with two great weekends shows what an outstanding competitor she is. It has been an honor to serve as her co-captain, and I know she is going to keep the momentum going through NCAAs.

-John Sanderson ’14
Men’s alpine captain

Lonza’s impressive performances in both the giant slalom and the slalom last weekend at the Bates Carnival helped boost the Eph ski teams to a fifth-place finish. On Friday, she achieved a podium finished, taking third in the giant slalom with a combined run time of 2:39.84. Lonza had another top-10 finish on Saturday, placing 10th in the women’s slalom competition. She completed her first run in 58:13 and her second in 1:05.74.