Wrestling drops final regular season match to Springfield

Wrestling (12-11) lost a close match against top-ranked Springfield in its final dual meet of the season last Saturday. The men came out fired up, looking to improve upon last year’s result, but they were defeated 42-6 by Springfield, but lost 25-19 loss in a much more contested match.

Prior to the match against Springfield, Williams had the top-ranked heavyweight wrestler in the NEWA in Tom Foote ’13 at 285 lbs. Captain Ces Antista ’13 was ranked second at 141 lbs., Jorge Lopez ’16 was ranked second at 149 lbs. and Kaison Tanabe ’13 and Tim Garripoli ’15 were ranked fourth in their weight classes at 133 lbs. and 157 lbs., respectively.

Although Daniel Sedita ’16 at 125 lbs. and Daniel Evangelokos ’15 at 133 lbs. both started the dual with losses, Antista, wrestling at 141 lbs., continued his fine season and turned the tide of the match with a major 12-3 decision against Springfield’s Mark Pinto in his last ever home match at Williams. Lopez in the 149 lb. weight class kept the Ephs rolling by defeating his opponent.

Tim Garripoli ’16 fought well in what was an extremely close match, eventually losing to Eric Hamsik, the No. 2 wrestler at 157 lbs. Kyle Gaffney ’15 at 165 lbs. pinned his opponent after only 1:30, which leveled the score at 13-13 and fired the Ephs up, who were seeking a major upset. Unfortunately, the men could not maintain that momentum, as John Berry ’16 in the 174 lb. weight class and Anthony Brooks ’16 at 184 lbs. lost to their opponents in tight decisions.

The deficit was too much for the No. 1 ranked Foote to overcome wrestling at 285 lbs., though he won his decision in his final home meet. In an extra match Adam Datema ’15 at 285 lbs. also won his decision. However, these late wins were not enough, and the men fell to Springfield 19-25.

The men finished the regular season 12-11, which was a big improvement over last year’s 4-18 finish. They now look to the postseason, beginning with the Futures Tournament at Roger Williams this Sunday, followed by the Northeast Regional on Mar. 2.

“All that matters now is conferences,” Antista said. “We have two weeks to get better and hopefully push some guys through to the national tournament.”