Women’s track snares 3rd at Div. III New England Championships

Women’s indoor track and field had a strong showing at the Div. III New England Championships hosted by the University of Southern Maine last Friday and Saturday. The women finished third with 88.5 points, behind first-place finisher Tufts with 116 points and MIT in second with 106 points.

By far the strongest performance of the weekend came from tri-captain Tanasia Hoffler ’13. She took first in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.25 seconds, which is the sixth fastest time seen in Div. III competition this winter. She also placed first in the triple jump, boasting an impressive 11.88 meters, following her winning jump of 5.66 meters in the long jump. Her triple jump is the seventh longest nationally.

Tri-captain Brooke Johnson ’13 came in just behind Hoffler in both the triple jump and the long jump, placing second with 11.47 meters and fourth with 5.27 meters, respectively.

Other notable performances included that of tri-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14, who took third in the mile with a time of 4:56.54, while Lacey Serletti ’16 took home fifth in the 3000 meter with a time of 10:25.03. Kaleigh Kenny ’14 came up big for the Ephs, stealing a first-place finish by less than one second in the 5000 meter in 17:18.87.

Julie Paschal ’13 had a strong showing in the high jump, tying for fifth with a 1.58-meter jump. Elise Pitmon ’16 also competed in the high jump, coming in at 1.48 meters, which was good for 16th place. Jenna Adams ’14 pulled out eight points for the Ephs with a second-place finish in the pole vault at 3.65 meters.

In the indoor pentathlon, Pitmon came out strong for the women, securing the final scoring spot with an eighth-place finish. She impressed in the 800 meter with a time of 2:24.60 and in the high jump, with a height of 1.52 meters, taking third and fourth, respectively.

The women also had several promising relay performances. Margaret Richardson ’16, Jessica O’Brien ’16, Kathryn McNaughton ’16 and Serletti took fourth in the distance medley with a time of 12:28.65. The Ephs recorded two sixth-place finishes by Borah Lim ’16, Sophie Chatas ’16, McNaughton and Richardson in the 4×800 with a time of 9:51.57 and by Amanda Murashige ’14, Annie Lynch ’14, Ashley Graves ’15 and Dianna Meija ’15 in the 4×400 with a time of 4:04.07. In the 4×200, Lynch, Murashige, Meija and Desiree Daring ’13 narrowly beat out Bowdoin’s ‘A’ team in a time of 1:46.63 for seventh place.

By the end of the meet, the women accumulated 88.5 points, a total that proved enough for an impressive third-place finish.

“I’m really proud of our team,” Mirecki said. “There were a lot of things that were out of our control that went poorly for us, and across the board, everyone stayed calm and composed and put forth their best effort in less than ideal situations. Tanasia Hoffler stepped up in a way that’s basically expected at this point, winning all three of her events and qualifying for Nationals in all of them.”

The women now look forward to the NEICAAA Championships at Boston University this Friday and Saturday. Events begin at 10 a.m. on both days.