One in 2000: Luiga Goodman ’14

You’ve probably noticed Luiga Goodman ’14 on campus. After all, it’s hard to miss the dreadlocked, 6’1” crooner in her jaunts around Williamtown. But who is the woman behind the charisma and big personality? I sat down with my good friend to give the College at large the full picture.

So I’ve never asked you this, but when did you first get dreadlocks?

I got them in fourth grade and I’ve had them ever since. I got them for two main reasons. One was that I’m really tender-headed and getting my hair done takes a long time and it hurts sometimes. That was annoying me, so I thought dreads would make my life easier. Also, my dad had dreads and he passed away when I was seven so I wanted to get them as a tribute to him.

I know you and your mom are really close. You guys are like sisters. My dad actually thought you were sisters when he first met you two.

[Laughs.] That’s really funny because I feel like usually when someone asks “Oh, is that your sister?” they’re trying to flatter your parents, but a lot of the time I think people genuinely think my mom and I are siblings, which is frustrating for me and flattering for her. It’s just been the two of us for a really long time so I think we just get each other. She’s definitely a mom first but she’s also one of my best friends and I love to just hang out with her.

I love hanging out with her too.

Yeah I think some of my friends like my mom more than they like me and that makes me jealous. [Laughs.]

It’s nice that she’s cool with all your tattoos.

I only have two tattoos. I got my first when I was 16. I wanted to find a new way to express myself, so I thought getting a tattoo would do that for me. It’s of a bass clef and a treble clef in the shape of a heart on my wrist. It represents my love for music and harmony, and I thought I’d get it on my wrist because I wear my heart on my sleeve. My mom took me to get the tattoo – she does cool things like that for me sometimes – because I needed a parent to get one at 16. My second tattoo I got when my mom took me to Paris for my 18th birthday. It says “Enivrez-vous” which in French means, “Get drunk” [smiles]. It’s from the title of a Baudelaire poem that I really like and I think the essence of the poem is basically that you should do whatever it is in life that makes you most happy, at all costs, and don’t lose sight of the things that make you happy. I got the tattoo as a reminder for me to keep things in perspective and try to have fun.

So, since you’re from New York, I bet you have a lot of funny stories about people approaching you on the street, right?

I don’t know what it is about me but obviously I’m kind of hard to miss because I’m pretty tall and there are some things about me that are unique as far as my features go, but I feel like whenever I’m in the city, sometimes random – a lot of random strangers, actually – come up to me and talk on the subway when I’m just trying to mind my own business and read my book. Once some guy proposed to me [laughs]. I was on a park bench reading my book and this guy comes up to me. I think he’s lost and is going to ask me for directions so I look up from my book to acknowledge him, but instead he says something along the lines of “I think you’re really pretty. Would you do me the honor of being my wife? I think we would make a good team.” I was like “What? Who are you?” He had no ring, he didn’t get down on one knee, none of that, so I was like “Uhhh … ” I was laughing, “I’m so flattered but … like, no.” But he …wasn’t laughing [laughs].

How un-romantic! Just like what you learned about penguins, right?

I have this obsession with penguins, kind of. No not kind of, it’s definitely a full-blown obsession. Every time I see a penguin or a picture of a penguin I get to the brink of tears because I think that they’re so cute! On our team [the women’s varsity basketball team] we have “buddies” and before a game we give our buddies buddy gifts. One of the gifts that I got from my buddy Kellie Macdonald [’15] was this hat [puts on hat]. [Laughs.] It has a penguin on it and I wear it. I’m not ashamed. I don’t know when my obsession started but I guess it was because my godfather is really into them – he has a lot of penguin-themed things so I was familiar with them growing up. I wanted to learn more about them so I could talk to him about them, and then I just got really interested. For a long time penguins gave me so much hope for love and life in general because they’re one of the few animals that keep a lifetime partner. But then last year I found out that sometimes female penguins, when their mates are away, will prostitute themselves for pebbles to make their nests with and my world was shattered. I don’t know how to explain the feeling I had when I found out. I literally cried because penguins are the only thing in this world that give me hope in monogamy and true love, and now I find out that they cheat on each other! [Laughs.]

Any other fun facts about you I should know? I feel like we’re on a roll!

I lived in this exact same room last year. I already knew how I wanted to decorate it so when it came time to do room draw and my room was open again I was like “I’ve had a lot of good memories in that room. It hasn’t let me down,” so I decided to live here again.

Are you going for it again next year?

Yeah, I hope so but now my secret is out and everyone’s going to be jacking my room and people will WSO me and see where I live and sabotage me.

You’ll be a senior so by default you’ll get the top pick.

I’m not too worried. Not a lot of seniors want to live in East but I probably would if my room was available again. It’s my home now. I feel like it’s my room now, I’ve lived here for two years, no one else can have this, I know how to maximize the space, I’m down.

The combination of being that comfortable in your room and a being member of the Accidentals must mean that you sing a lot around East.

I feel bad for the people who live adjacent to me now because if I’m auditioning for a solo or there’s a song that I’ve been really into I just play it on repeat and sing along with it, and sing in the shower and the hallway all the time. No one has complained to my face yet but I feel like maybe my hallmates get annoyed that I sing.

Maybe they don’t complain because they think it’s a blessing.

One can only hope.

• Mommy

Hi Sweetheart, what a lovely honor and wonderful interview. I’m so proud of all that your are doing and how you are so happy being emersed in all things Williams. You are the light, joy and love of my life and I thank God everyday for you. I’m sorry that I have not been able to do as much as I would like, but I pray when all this is over we can pick up where we left off. Please continue to take care of yourself and love and care for all the people God puts in your path, and may He bless and keep you close always. Oh yes, and the interviewer also!!!black and yellow black and yellow xoxoxo

• Mikey B.

Hey cuzzie, great article. Props to your interviewer too. It’s cool that you were chosen for this spotlight. I believe Williams is fortunate that they have such an exceptional person, and student. I never knew about your obsession with those Happy Feet creatures. lol. We did have a penguin in our family until she became “The General”. The marriage proposal had me in stitches! Only in NY. Best wishes to you this year on and off the court. Luv u! Ciao!

Hansel

• Auntie Norm/The General

Luigia – I absolutely loved your interview. Your innocence just pops right out at me. Continue to enjoy your days at Williams’ and to be free to embrace all the happiness that is meant for you. May God continue to protect and direct you.

Love Auntie Norm