Men’s track claims 4th at Regionals

Men’s track and field used a complete team performance to take fourth place with 59 points at the Div. III New England Championships hosted by Bates last Saturday. Williams finished behind MIT (119.5 points), defending champion Bates (94) and Tufts (92).

Jared Nowell ’15 and Kat Ofori-Atta ’16 gave the Ephs a jumpstart with quick times in the 60 meter. Ofori-Atta tallied the first points of the day with a sixth-place finish in 7.11 seconds, while Nowell earned 11th place with a time of 7.22 seconds. The two sprinters made an encore in the 200 meter, as Ofori-Atta added a third-place finish in a time of 22.84 seconds. Nowell finished close behind in 10th place.

Emmanuel Daring ’15 was the lone Eph in the 400 meter, but made his presence felt with a time of 51.13 seconds, good for 18th place.

Jabulani Blyden ’13 starred in the 600 meter, establishing a new Walter Slovenski Track record with a first-place time of 1:20.27. Eric Schneider ’15 also scored in this event for the Ephs, finishing in seventh place in a time of 1:23.25.

Andrew Beaudoin ’15 narrowly lost a race for the line, but nevertheless picked up second place in the 1000 meter in a time of 2:31.94.

“Beaudoin ran a near-perfect race in contrast to other races this season,” tri-captain Brandon Abasolo ’13 said. “He dictated the pace from the start and maintained composure in the latter stages when his competitors made their bids for victory. He caught an unlucky break in being out leaned for the win.”

Max LaBerge ’14 was the top Eph finisher in the 3000 meter, earning ninth place with a time of 8:42. Aldis Inde ’15 and Peter Watson ’13 also competed, placing 11th and 18th, respectively.

Tri-captain Scott Rodilitz ’13 continued his scintillating form with a fourth-place finish in the 5000 meter. His time of 15:02 just beat fellow Eph finishers Chris Lee ’14 in sixth place, Bijan Mazaheri ’16 in ninth place, Abasolo in 10th place and Wade Davis ’13 in 14th place.

Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 was the lone field performer to score for the Ephs. His vault of 4.55 meters was good for fourth place.

The 4×800 of John Sutton ’15, Beaudoin, Ford and Nick Wolf ’14 sped to a third-place finish. Led by sub-two minute times from both Sutton and Wolf, the relay ducked under the eight minute barrier in 7:59. The distance medley relay of Matt Tarduno ’16, Kevin Persons ’16, Nick Nosce ’16 and Kyle Kistinger ’16 finished in 10th place.

Despite racing out of heat two, the 4×400 stunned MIT for the victory. MIT, racing in the later heat, thought they had the event won, only to finish seconds behind Williams. The team of Blyden, Daring, Schneider and tri-captain Chris Fogler ’13 will hope to qualify for Div. III Nationals in the upcoming weeks and better their time of 3:23.90.

“While a departure from years past, we came into this meet with expectations of placing fourth, which we were able to match,” Abasolo said. “I’m proud of the way we competed on Saturday in spite of the lack of coverage in events we’ve had in past years. We were able to come together as a team and really support each other. I know that this will serve us well in the outdoor season.”

Up next, the men return to Boston for the All-New England Championships hosted by Boston University. The two-day event begins this Friday.