Skiing powers to 8th place at Dartmouth

Skiing traveled to compete in the Dartmouth Carnival last weekend despite inclement weather. Williams finished eighth with 409 points overall. UVM took top honors at the carnival with 977 points.

On Day One of nordic competition, the men boasted a strong performance in the 10k classic race. Vanya Rybkin ’15, Will Wicherski ’15 and Isaac Hoenig ’14 had impressive performances, all finishing within three seconds of each other. Rybkin rounded the course in 32:05 to place 19th. Hoenig came in at 32:07.4 to place 20th, and Wicherski finished in 32:08.5 to finish 21st. Christina Knapp ’13 and Olivia Meyerson ’16 both placed in the top 20 in their 5k race on Friday to lead the women. Knapp finished in 18th place skiing the course in 18:11.6, while Meyerson finished a close six seconds behind Knapp in 19th place.

The alpine team completed the giant slalom on Day One. The course was comprised of a steeper pitch at the top that went into a longer, flatter section into the finish. The men’s team struggled at the top of the hill, as Chris Nocek ’13 and Christoph Lentz ’15 missed gates that kept them from finishing their first runs. Due to various difficulties along the course, Carson Houle ’15, Dylan Thomas ’15 and men’s alpine captain John Sanderson ’13 were kept out of the top 60 spots, meaning that they did not qualify for a second run. Victor Major ’15 completed both runs for the Ephs and finished in 34th.

“It was another frustrating performance in giant slalom for the men,” Sanderson said. “With the field as strong as it is this year, we have practically no room for error, but we know that if we keep racing hard and cut back on our mistakes, we can make some noise in the final two giant slaloms of the season.”

The women had a slightly better showing than the men. Both Annie Leiter ’13 and Katy Kirkpatrick ’13 completed both runs, placing 29th and 35th, respectively. Sarah Cottrill ’15 was right behind Kirkpatrick in 36th. Women’s alpine captain Geordie Lonza ’13 could not complete her second run. The women ended Day One in eighth with a combined total of 48 points.

On Saturday, the nordic team competed in a 3×5 freestyle relay. The men placed two teams, coming in seventh and eighth. Wicherski, Rybkin and Hoenig finished seventh. Hoenig skied the fourth-fastest anchor leg with a time of 14:22.3, putting Williams just five seconds out of a fifth-place finish. Kalle Jahn ’14, Ian Nesbitt ’13 and Phil Tosteson ’13 finished in eighth. The second team had an impressive performance, finishing 25 seconds after the first squad.

On the women’s side, nordic co-captain Hannah Smith ’15, Meyerson and Knapp notched a seventh-place finish in their relay. Knapp skied the fifth-fastest time in her leg at 17:05.4 to put the Ephs in a great place, allowing Smith to clinch the seventh-place finish at anchor.

“Racing while it’s dumping snow is always tough, but our guys really stepped up to the challenge,” Casey Jones ’13, captain of the men’s nordic squad, said. “We had some really competitive finishes on Friday with Vanya, Isaac and Will all finishing within five seconds of each other..”

Due to the high winds produced by winter storm Nemo, the slalom event of the carnival was rescheduled for the next week, to take place back-to-back with the Middlebury Carnival.

Skiing will travel to compete in the Middlebury Carnival this weekend.