Grapplers overpower Western New England and Oneonta State

Despite a one-day postponement due to inclement weather, wrestling (12-10) hosted Wesleyan, Western New England and Oneonta State last Sunday. Although Wesleyan went undefeated, downing the men 34-12, Williams had a very good meet, finishing 2-1.Williams crushed Western New England 41-7 and defeated Oneonta State 28-13 in the process.

The men were ready for Oneonta State for their last match in the day against an opponent who had beaten them by 11 points on Dec. 8. The Ephs were hungry for revenge, and they came out strong. The men scored points in eight of the 11 matches, including a pin by Anthony Brooks ’16 in the 184 lb. weight class. “The overall team effort [against Oneonta State] speaks so much to how far we have come,” Interim Head Coach Scott Honecker said.

Earlier in the day, Daniel Seidita ’16 got the match against Western New England off to a good start at 125 lbs. with a fall at 2:30. From there, the Ephs never looked back, picking up almost all the points, including a pin by Jorge Lopez ’16 at 149 lbs. The grapplers cruised to a 41-7 victory.

Although Wesleyan, a nationally ranked team, proved to be too much for the men in the first match on Sunday, it was a good match for Tim Garripoli ’16 at 157, who pinned his opponent in 6:56 and for Kyle Gaffney ’15 at 165 and Adam Datema ’15 at 285, who each won their decisions. Honecker was not disappointed with the loss to Wesleyan, which is “one of the best teams in the country,” according to Honecker.

With the regular season almost over, the men will look ahead to the postseason. “We are now shifting our focus to producing as many regional place winners, national qualifiers and All-Americans as possible,” Honecker said. “I can’t say enough about how much our guys have improved, and that’s a credit to the effort they are giving day in and day out. We keep getting better and are getting to our best at just the right time to be ready for the postseason.”

On Saturday, the men will host Springfield at 1 p.m. in their last home meet of the season.