Athletes of the Week: Michael Mayer ’14 and Claire Baecher ’13

Michael Mayer ’14
Men’s basketball
Durham, N.C.

Michael Mayer '14
Michael Mayer ’14

“Michael Mayer continues to perform at a very high level and is a major reason why we are having such a wonderful season. His contributions on the hardwood, in our community and around our campus help make our institution and program so special.”

-Mike Maker
Head Coach

Mayer scored 17 of the Ephs’ 48 points to lead the team in scoring in its loss against rival Amherst on Sunday. The junior had 10 points in the first half alone. He also recorded a team high of 10 rebounds for the team’s only double-double of the day. Mayer went six for 14 on field goals. His hustle on the floor and his determination to drive to the hoop while inside the paint drew fouls from Amherst, allowing him to make four of five from the line.

Claire Baecher ’13
Women’s basketball
Brunswick, Maine

Claire Baecher '13
Claire Baecher ’13

“Claire just dominated from start to finish on both ends of the floor. In my opinion, she’s the best player in the conference, and it showed in Sunday’s game. Her teammates set her up with some nice screens, but when Claire is feeling it, she can make anything happen.”

-Pat Manning
Head Coach

Baecher was named NESCAC Player of the Week and New England Women’s Basketball Association Player of the Week for her play against rival Amherst last Sunday. Baecher scored a season high of 30 points in the Senior Day victory. She grabbed eight rebounds and blocked two shots. She also went 12 for 13 from the foul line. Baecher’s performance helped to move the Ephs into a three-way tie for first in the NESCAC.