Women’s ice hockey drops 2 to Amherst

Women’s ice hockey (8-11-1, 4-7-1 in the NESCAC) suffered a pair of losses this weekend to rival Amherst. The losses came after a rough two weeks for the women, who have gone 2-3-1 since Jan. 16.

On Saturday, the women hoped to make a comeback from the previous night’s defeat. However, Amherst was first on the board, scoring in the first 10 minutes of play. Shortly thereafter, the Jeffs struck again, bringing their lead to two goals. Amherst tallied a third unanswered goal in the second period. However, the Ephs were not ready to give in. Samantha Cutts ’15 put Williams back in the game, scoring with help from teammates Gabby Vukasin ’14 and assistant captain Cristina Bravi ’14. Midway through the third period, Williams put another puck past the Amherst goaltender to come within one goal. This goal marked the third of the season for Michaela Levine ’16, assisted by Andree Heller ’15 and co-captain Aimee Dennett ’13. Despite tough play, Williams could not overcome the deficit, as Amherst scored an empty netter to finalize Saturday’s score at 4-2.

On Friday night, Amherst came out swinging, jumping out 4-0 in the first period. Amherst scored two more goals before Williams mounted its comeback attempt, led by Dennett with a goal early in the third period assisted by Caitlin Conlon ’15. Building on this momentum, Williams struck again. Cutts contributed the Ephs’ second and final goal, assisted by Dennett and Abby Belcrest ’16. However, the Ephs ultimately fell 7-2.

“The games didn’t go as we had hoped, but there were definitely good moments on both Friday and Saturday,” co-captain Sam Weinstein ’13 said. “I was really proud of the way the team fought Friday night and responded in the third period. Saturday was much better than Friday night. We are looking forward to Middlebury this weekend and playing our last home game of the season.”

On Jan. 26 the Ephs took on NESCAC foe Bowdoin. The Polar Bears scored right out of the gate, gaining a 3-0 lead before the end of the first period. Bowdoin kept up the onslaught, and went on to score two more goals before the end of regulation. Goaltender Chloe Billadeau ’15 had 29 saves on the night.

Williams took on Bowdoin for the first time the night before, battling to keep the top-seeded NESCAC team at bay. The game ended in a 1-1 tie. with Weinstein scoring the Ephs’ sole goal. Billadeau tallied 33 saves to keep the score tied.

On Jan. 22, the women bested Castleton State in an exciting overtime battle. Weinstein scored again for the Ephs, giving them the advantage before the Spartans tied things up, bringing the contest into overtime. Vukasin finally put the Ephs on top with 1:20 remaining in overtime, getting the 2-1 win.

Williams earned a split against Colby, bouncing back after a disappointing 4-1 loss the night before to win 2-1 against the Mules on Jan. 19. Weinstein and Vukasin both scored in the game.

In the women’s loss on Jan. 18, Colby went on a run from which Williams could not recover, finalizing the score at 4-1 with less than a minute to play.

Taking on No. 1 Plattsburgh State on Jan. 16, Williams went down 3-0 quickly before the women could mount a comeback. Levine prevented a shut out, scoring with help from Nitsan Goldstein ’15.

The women take on Middlebury at home this Friday at 7 p.m.