Men’s track captures 2nd at Tufts Stampede

Men’s indoor track and field captured second place behind MIT at the Tufts Stampede last weekend, adding to its total of Div. III New England qualifiers. Paced by three individual victories, the men felled rival Tufts by scoring 85.5 points. Prior to this meet, the Ephs placed 10th out of 13 teams at the Joe Donahue Games, won by Brown, on Jan. 25, after facing tough competition at the Harvard Challenge Meet on Jan. 19, where the Army/Northeastern pairing took home a win.

Jared Nowell ’15 and Katakyie Ofori-Atta ’16 continued their strong form in the 60 meter, placing 12th in 7.27 seconds and 15th in 7.31 seconds, respectively. The duo returned in the 200 meter, where both scored points for the Ephs. Nowell earned seventh place, racing to a time of 23.29 seconds. Ofori-Atta took down MIT’s Tyler Singer-Clark, the defending Div. III New England outdoor champion, by 0.18 seconds in a time of 22.86.

Emmanuel Daring ’15 earned six points for the Ephs with a third-place performance in the 400 meter in a time of 51.13 seconds. Tri-captain Chris Fogler ’13 also competed, running to a ninth-place finish in 51.85 seconds out of heat two.

The 600 meter marked one of the more exciting races of the day, as three Ephs went head-to-head with MIT’s All-American Patrick Marx. While they came up short, each posted a season best time. Andrew Beaudoin ’15 unleashed his patented kick to take second place in 1:22.39. Jabulani Blyden ’13 finished close behind in 1:22.44, while Eric Schneider ’15 took sixth place in 1:23.17.

Nick Nosce ’16 and John Sutton ’15 raced to 12th and 14th place, respectively, in the 800 meter. Both just missed the two-minute mark and will look to hit it next week.

In the mile, Todd Ford ’16 dusted MIT’s Justin Bullock in the last 200 meters to take first place in 4:22.44. Aldis Inde ’15 trailed just seconds behind, finishing in 4:24.51 and earning fifth place.

Brandon Abasolo ’13 continued a streak of strong performances in the 3000 meter, racing to fourth place with a time of 8:46.16, while tri-captain Scott Rodilitz ’13 made his presence felt early in the 5000 meter and coasted to an eight-second victory in 15:11.52.

The Eph 4×400 of Daring, Fogler, Nowell and Schneider was disappointed to finish just behind MIT in 3:25.28, but still cemented second place for the team in out-distancing Tufts. The 4×800 team raced to fifth place, finishing in 8:09.67.

In the field events, Christopher Sheahan ’13 tossed the shot put 12.78 meters to capture 10th place for the Ephs. John Martin ’16 took 12th in the triple jump with a leap of 12.09 meters.

“Overall our mission had been to create good team chemistry and get out and compete well in our first meet with Div. III competition instead of Div. I, and we did that a little shorthanded, but we came out well,” Interim Co-Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said.

Although the Ephs placed 10th at the Joe Donahue Games on Jan. 25, several of the men qualified for the Div. III New England meet on Feb. 15-16. Nowell qualified in the 200 meter with a time of 23.12, while Fogler qualified for the 400 meter in a time of 51.57. There were many other qualifiers on the day as well.

On Jan. 19, the men competed in an interesting meet where they competed, paired with MIT, against Harvard and Brown and Army and Northeastern. This was arguably some of the toughest competition Williams faced and their pairing placed third.

Up next, the men travel to Boston to compete at the Tufts Cupid Challenge and the MIT Coed Invite on Feb. 9. With one last chance to establish qualifying marks, the team will gear up to challenge the best New England has to offer.