Athletes of the Week: Claire Baecher '13 and Sean Dougherty '15

Claire Baecher '13
Claire Baecher '13
Claire Baecher ’13
Women's basketball (Brunswick, Maine)

“She's definitely come into her own this season. After an injury last season, she's really hit her peak this year. It's really good to see her back on the court and doing what she does best. She's one of our most skilled players, both offensively and defensively.” -Jennifer Chuks, Assistant Coach

Baecher led women’s basketball to two impressive wins last weekend. She was the leading scorer in both games, banking 22 points against Bowdoin and 12 against Colby. She played a key role in firing up the team, setting off a 13-0 run against Bowdoin with two three-pointers. In the game against Colby on Friday, Baecher helped snap the women out of a slow start with six points in three minutes. She also earned her third double-double of the season against Colby by adding 11 rebounds to her game-high 12 points.

Sean Dougherty '15
Sean Dougherty '15
Sean Dougherty ’15
Men's ice hockey (Smithtown, N.Y.)

“He's been kind of the glue of our team. He's played very, very well for us. Obviously we have a 0-0 tie, so the other team's going to have chances, but he kept them at bay. He's a guy we're going to lean on as we get closer to playoffs.” -Bill Kangas, Head Coach

Dougherty maintained a strong presence in net last weekend against Wesleyan.  Dougherty managed to keep the score at 0-0 in regulation, despite some prime scoring opportunities for the Cardinals.  In overtime, Dougherty rose to the occasion, nullifying several of Wesleyan’s best chances, including a three-on-one offensive attack.  Dougherty and the Ephs held on, ending the game in a 0-0 tie and clinching a conference playoff spot. The Eph made 26 saves in the game, stopping seven shots in overtime alone.

zp8497586rq