Women’s track shows preparation at Yale

Last weekend, women’s track and field traveled to Yale to compete at the 31st annual Yale Collegiate Invitational. The meet included Div. I schools such as Yale and Fordham. The Ephs had some exceptional performances although the meet was not scored.

In the sprints, the Ephs ran strong times to open the 2013 season. The 60-meter hurdles was an exciting race to watch with both  tri-captain Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and Grace Weatherall ’16 making the finals. Hoffler placed third overall with a time of 9.05, an NCAA qualifying time, and Weatherall placed eighth running a time of 9.52.

In the mile, tri-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 was narrowly edged out by rival Caitlin Hudson of Yale. Though the entire race was close, in the end Hudson beat Mirecki by 0.6 of a second to finish in second with a NCAA qualifying time of 5:03.36.

“I was happy with my mile,” Mirecki said after the race. “I felt strong and relaxed all the way through and felt like it was a solid season opener.”

In the field events, tri-captains Brook Johnson ’13 and Hoffler led the team with a two-three finish in the long jump. Johnson placed second (5.3m) and was closely followed by Hoffler (5.26m). The pair extended their streak of good performances in the triple jump as well. Hoffler placed second with a jump of 11.97m and Johnson placed fifth with a jump of 11.35m. Julie Paschal ’13 jumped an impressive 1.65m  to place second in the high jump. All three qualified to be on the NCAA indoor nationals list with their jumps.

Experienced pole-vaulter Jenna Adams ’14 placed third in her event with a vault of 3.45m. Her jump qualified her to be placed on the NCAA list as well. “My goals were to get back into the competitive mindset, and I was happy with my performance,” Adams said.

The Ephs also held their own in the relay competition. Kathryn McNaughton ’16, Mirecki, Lacey Serletti ’16 and Borah Lim ’16 ran an incredible opening time of 9:42:09 to place second in the 4×800 relay. The competitive momentum was followed in the 4×400 relay with Diana Mejia ’15, Amanda Murashigi ’14, Annie Lynch ’14 and Ashley Graves ’15 running a time of 4:06.67.

Overall, the captains and the coaches were satisfied with the meet’s results, especially considering the number of athletes who qualified for the NCAA’s.  “The women still have room to grow,” Assistant Coach Howard Powell said. “We simply have to run and train tough.”

On Saturday, the women will compete at Harvard against Harvard, Brown, Army, Northeastern and MIT.