Women’s squash boasts 4-0 conf. record

Women’s squash (7-7, 4-0 in the NESCAC) has opened 2013 with several key victories. Among these victories are wins against four NESCAC rivals: Bowdoin, Bates, Middlebury and Colby. The women are currently riding a four-game winning streak, as a result of an impressive 3-0 weekend, defeating Bates and Mt. Holyoke on Sunday and Middlebury on Friday.

Last Sunday, the women went up against Mount Holyoke and Bates, notching 6-3 and 8-1 victories, respectively. Against NESCAC rival Bates, Ellie O’Neill ’15 defeated her opponent 3-0 in an impressive performance after being down 6-10 in her first game. Despite it being the second match of the day, Williams continued to compete with gusto, winning six of nine matches with a 3-0 score against Mt. Holyoke.

Just two days earlier, Williams beat rival Middlebury 5-4 in a hard fought match away at Middlebury. Alyssa Northrop ’14 was the only player to notch a 3-0 victory over her opponent. Co-captain Laura Henry ’13 had the final win for the Ephs in a five-game match.

“We went into this weekend knowing it was going to be tough. Middlebury and Bates are two of our biggest matches of the season,” co-captain Alli Rubin ’13 said. “Everyone rose to the occasion and played highly competitive squash. We could not be happier with how our team performed, and we look forward to continuing this high level of play throughout the rest of the season. We look forward to seeing these teams at NESCACs later in the season, and hopefully, we’ll be able to keep our momentum from last weekend going forward.”

On Jan. 6, Williams downed Bowdoin 9-0 at home. The Ephs boasted an impressive sweep over the Polar Bears as the top nine Ephs went 27-0 in games.

One day earlier, the women earned a decisive 9-0 win over Colby, but fell 9-0 to Yale in their first matches of 2013. The Ephs beat the Mules 3-0 in seven of nine matches. Matched up against Yale, the women played well against the top-ranked team, winning many games. Northrop, Caroline Sawin ’15 and Hannah Kaemmer ’13 each pushed their opponents to four games.

On Dec. 5, Williams went up against reigning national champion Harvard in Cambridge. The Ephs fell 9-0 to the Crimsons in a challenging battle.

The women will take on St. Lawrence this Friday at 7:30 p.m. in New Haven, Conn., for their first of three matches at Yale.