Williams holds 5th place in Directors’ Cup standings

At the conclusion of the fall sports season, Williams stands in fifth in the Div. III Learfield Directors’ Cup. The Ephs have banked 277.5 points this fall, led by stellar seasons from men’s and women’s cross country and men’s and women’s soccer.

Calvin (Mich.) is in first place with 308.5 points. Middlebury, a perennial competitor in the Director’s Cup which has finished in the top nine for the past five years, is in second with 306.5 points, followed by Johns Hopkins with 305 and Emory with 280.

Williams’ top contributors were women’s cross country, earning 80 points, men’s cross country with 64.5 points, women’s soccer, earning 50 points and men’s soccer, contributing 83 points.

The Directors’ Cup gives points for up to 18 scoring finishers – nine women’s teams and nine men’s teams. Accordingly, the top positions are likely to change based on the number of competitive teams that each school fields. Amherst traditionally makes a strong run; the conference rivals are currently 31st with 156.80 points. Washington University in St. Louis, fresh off a second-place finish in 2011-12, is currently 10th, with 237 points.

Last year broke the College’s streak of 13 consecutive Directors’ Cup titles, as Middlebury edged the Ephs to claim the Directors’ Cup. The Ephs will look to swimming and diving, track and field and women’s crew to once again deliver top performances to advance the College in the standings.

“There’s a long way to go in the Directors’ Cup competition with just the fall season complete,” Dick Quinn, associate director of communication for sports information, said, looking ahead to 2013. “It will be fun to watch all of the Eph teams compete throughout the winter and the spring and see where they finish.”

• congrats guys!