Men’s hockey drops OT loss to Plattsburgh

Last Saturday, men’s ice hockey (8-3-1, 6-1-1 in the NESCAC) faced off against Plattsburgh State, eventually losing 5-4. This loss followed a 6-2 blow-out win over Skidmore the day before. Before break, the Ephs beat Wesleyan 2-1 on Dec. 5 after tying Trinity 1-1 on Dec. 4.

In the game against Plattsburgh State, the men capitalized on an odd-man rush 9:30 into the first period, as forward and co-captain John Wickman ’13 slipped the puck to fellow forward and assistant captain Nick Anderson ’14. Anderson then wristed the puck past the Cardinals’ goalie to make the score 1-0.

Plattsburgh State started the second period on fire, taking advantage of a power-play opportunity with a goal 7:30 into the period, tying the game 1-1. The Ephs dominated the rest of the second period, starting with a goal just a minute later from Anderson, his second goal of the game. The goal put the Ephs once again in the lead 2-1. Fifty seconds later, assistant captain and forward  Evan Dugdale ’13 passed the puck to a wide open Peter Mistretta ’15 who avoided the goalie to score on his backhand, stretching the Ephs’ lead to 3-1 at 9:33. The Ephs continued their momentum to the very end of the second period, with a goal from forward Matt Doyle ’14 off the power play in the last three minutes of the period, putting them ahead 4-1.

Despite the Ephs’ solid three-goal lead coming into the third period, the game was not so easily won, as the Cardinals immediately started out the period with a goal in the first two minutes, making the score 4-2. In the last five minutes of the period, Plattsburgh State scored a goal after pulling its goalie, putting the team just one goal behind Williams. Just a minute later, the Cardinals scored a goal off a rebound, ending the third period in a 4-4 tie and carrying the game into overtime.

Plattsburgh State did not let up in overtime, scoring the game-winning goal just 20 seconds before the end of the five-minute overtime period, ending the game with a 5-4 Plattsburgh State victory.

Last Friday, the men defeated Skidmore in a decisive 6-2 win. Though the Ephs had a strong offense for most of the first period, the Thoroughbreds scored a short-handed goal less than five minutes before the end of the first, ending the period up 1-0.

The Ephs battled to even the score in the second, finally notching their first goal with a shot from the point by defenseman Taylor Carmola ’16 12 minutes into the period. The period ended with a 1-1 tie.

The third period found a different Williams team, as the Ephs crushed the Thoroughbreds with five goals. Forward Cody Skinner ’13 started the scoring spree with a goal seven minutes into the period, breaking the tie and putting the Ephs ahead 2-1. Just 40 seconds later, Anderson scored the game-winning goal off of a rebound, making the score 3-1. With five minutes left in the period, the Thoroughbreds attempted to even the score with a power-play goal, putting them one goal behind the Ephs. The Ephs then asserted their lead with a goal just three minutes later from defenseman Zander Masucci ’16, putting them ahead 4-2. With less than two minutes left in the period, forward Wickman scored yet another goal, followed immediately by a goal from forward Matt Werner ’16, ending the game with a huge 6-2 win for the Ephs.

“We had been pretty dominant the entire game so I wasn’t very surprised when we put five [goals] in,” said Dougherty.

In the contest against Wesleyan on Jan. 5, Mike Brofft ’13 and Doyle both scored to give the Ephs a 2-1 win. Sean Dougherty ’15 kept the Ephs in the game with 26 saves.

On Jan. 4, the men faced off against Trinity as the season resumed after break. Brofft notched a goal, but Trinity reciprocated, making the score 1-1. Overtime yielded no goals, and the game ended in a tie.

In their last games before break, the men edged out Hamilton 2-1 on Dec. 8 and rival Amherst 2-1 on Dec. 7.

Williams played Babson on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. The men follow that game by hosting games against Bowdoin and Colby on Friday at 7 p.m. and on Saturday at 3 p.m., respectively.