Men’s golf acquires new head coach for spring

On Dec. 17, 2012, the College hired Josh Hillman as the new Head Coach of men’s golf, replacing the recently retired Rick Pohle. Pohle worked at the College for 29 years. His achievements include a 1936-541-8 record, 10 NESCAC titles, 10 NCAA tournaments, six NESCAC Coach of the Year awards as well as having coached 10 National Golf Scholars and four All-Americans.

Hillman served as the Assistant Coach for men and women’s from 2006-09 before leaving to work at the Berkshire Hills Country Club. Hillman is the fourth golf coach at the College. He graduated in 2000 from the University of Rhode Island with a BA in communication studies. He is a Class “A” member of the Professional Golf Association (PGA), and won the 2012 Northeastern New York PGA Section, the third time he has won in the past six years. He is also a member of A.W. Tillinghast Society, a USGA member, a Titleist staff member and a member of the National Golf Coaches Association of America.

Athletic Director Lisa Melendy said of the hire, “I am quite pleased that Josh Hillman will be the next men’s golf coach at Williams. He brings with him a wealth of experience and enthusiasm that will make him a great addition to our coaching faculty. There was a very strong pool of candidates, and Coach Hillman stood out among them. His past experiences as an assistant coach and college player have prepared well to take on this new role.”

In the spring, Hillman will coach the golf team at the 2013 NESCAC Championship in Connecticut, from April 27-28. Trinity will be hosting the championship, with Hamilton and Middlebury also attending. Whichever team wins the conference will compete in the NCAA Tournament.