Women’s track impresses at unscored Smith Winter Classic

A fresh snowfall and a bus ride to Smith’s Winter Classic marked the beginning of the women’s indoor track and field season. Though the meet was not scored, the Ephs competed fiercely.

Amina Avril ’14 got the team off to the right start: She swept the throwing events, placing first in both the weight throw with a distance of 17.07 meters and the shotput with a 12.22-meter throw.

Elise Pitmon ’16 carried the competitive momentum into the jumping events, placing third in the high jump with a 1.52-meter leap. “Elise had a solid performance in the high jump, and she is off to a promising start,” Assistant Coach Melissa Daly said.

In the long jump, Grace Weatherall ’16 and Bethany Berry ’16 both posted good performances, with Weatherall jumping 4.76 meters and Berry topping 4.73 meters. Berry continued with a firm jump of 10.26 meters in the triple jump, which Daly noted “is a good performance considering Berry used a short approach rather than a long approach [to jump], which limits the amount of momentum created to take off the board.”

The women continued to have a strong presence throughout the running events. In the sprints, Weatherall and Berry both ran a time of 8.36 in the 60 meter, just one-tenth of a second off of qualifying for the finals. Amodhi Weeresinghe ’14 qualified for the 60-meter finals with a time of 8.35 and placed seventh overall. In the 600 meter,  co-captain Rebecca Fine ’13 fought her way past Lauren Markoe of Keene State in the last 50 meters to win the event with a time of 1:41.81.

The depth and strength of the rookie class was further highlighted in the long distance events. Lacey Serletti ’16 placed first in the mile with a time of 5:17.86. Despite her focus on distance events, Serletti did not compete during the cross country season. “It was nice to finally see Serletti compete,” Assistant Coach Lance Harden said. “She competed better than expected and is off to a great start.”

To top off an exciting start to the season, the Ephs’ rookies swept the 1000 meter in a dominant fashion. Sophie Chatas ’16 placed first in 3:09.92 and was closely followed by teammates Borah Lim ’16 in second and Kathryn McNaughton ’16 in third. The second- and third-place rookies crossed the finish line in 3:10.11 and 3:10.57, respectively. Furthermore, co-captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 shattered the field, taking first in the 3000 meter with a time of 10:35:84, followed by Margaret Richardson ’16, who ran a 10:59.32, in second.

The women will not compete again until Jan. 12, when they will compete in the Yale Invite in New Haven. Events begin at 9 a.m.