Men’s squash posts 1-2 weekend

On Sunday, men’s squash (3-4) dropped a tough match 9-0 to defending national champion Princeton at home. The loss followed a doubleheader on Saturday, in which the men defeated Drexel 8-1 and fell to Trinity 9-0. On Friday night, the men notched a victory over Penn, narrowly capturing the match 5-4. Before Thanksgiving, the team dropped two matches on Nov. 17 to Western Ontario and Cornell, 7-2 and 8-1, respectively. On Nov. 16, in their first competition of the season, the men triumphed over Hamilton with an emphatic 8-1 victory.

Although Princeton swept all of the men’s games on Sunday there were still impressive performances. Chris Wilkinson ’15 nearly won his match at the No. 8 position, jumping to a 2-0 lead before losing the next three sets. Ryan Eagan ’15 and Andy Maruca ’14 each claimed one game in their respective matches, showing resilience against their talented Ivy League competition.

On Saturday, the men split their matches against Drexel and Trinity. In the Drexel match, all eight wins were three-game victories. Tri-captain Jack Ervasti ’13 only lost a total of six points in his entire match, sweeping his opponent 11-4, 11-1 and 11-1 in the No. 7 position. The only loss of the match came in the No. 1 position, where tri-captain Nick Marks ’13 was edged by his Dragon foe 11-3, 12-1 and 11-7.

Against Trinity, last year’s national runner-up, the men dropped all nine matches on Saturday. Despite the score, the Ephs still had some bright spots, including rookie Michael Petrick ’16, who played his opponent to a match ball in the fifth game. Tri-captain Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13 and Marks both won a game off their Bantam counterparts.

On Friday, the men earned an emphatic 5-4 win over Penn, the first time the Ephs have bested the Quakers in 11 years. A key win came from Wilkinson, who dispatched his opponent in three games from the No. 9 position. Other notable wins came from Kevin Chen ’15 at No. 3, Petrick at No. 6, Ervasti at No. 4 and Taylor Foehl ’14 at No. 2.

“We have played Penn so many times and always lost in a very close score,” Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 said. “[It] was a real team effort. Everybody played great, and we won the first five matches. I enjoyed the win and had in mind all those players over the years that fought hard and came short. This win is dedicated to them.”

Before Thanksgiving, the men fell to Western Ontario and Cornell on Nov. 17. Wilkinson again turned in some strong performances at No. 9 and was the only player on the squad to win two matches that day. On Nov. 16, the men opened their season with an 8-1 win at Hamilton. In that contest, Petrick was perhaps the most dominant, conceding only seven points on the day.

“I know we’re barely a month into the season, but I’m incredibly proud of what this team has accomplished and very excited for more competition in January,” Greaves-Tunnell said.

The men return to competition tonight at Harvard. Play will start at 6 p.m.