Men’s hockey downs conference foes

On Saturday, men’s ice hockey (4-2) battled against Conn. College, earning a hard-fought 3-2 victory. The Ephs entered the contest with the Camels already 3-2 on the season, having notched victories over Tufts on Nov. 30, St. Olaf on Nov. 23 and Colby on Nov. 17, but seeing their win streak disturbed by losses to Gustavus Adolphus on Nov. 24 and to Bowdoin in the Nov. 16 season opener.

The women’s first scoring opportunity against Conn. College on Saturday came one minute into the first period as forward Eric Rubino ’13, fed by linemate and co-captain John Wickman ’13, broke away one-on-one with the goaltender. Rubino, however, was unable to get the puck past the Camel netminder. Neither team could break the scoreless tie, until defenseman David Jarrett ’15 put a rebound off the stick of Peter Mistretta ’15 past the Camels’ goaltender on a power play with three minutes left in the period, allowing the men to close out the first 20 minutes up 1-0.

The Camels’ first goal came 7:57 into the second when defenseman Mark Roper ripped a wrist shot from the point to the back of the Williams net to tie the game 1-1. With less than five minutes left in the period, Mistretta carried the puck down the left flank and fired a shot that deflected off a Conn. College stick and through the five-hole of the netminder to put the men up 2-1. Conn. College wasn’t finished, however, and 17 minutes into the period, the Camels capitalized on a man advantage opportunity and scored off a rebound to tie the game 2-2.

The third period, while full of many chances for both teams, remained scoreless, forcing the contest into extra time. In overtime, the Ephs went on the offensive as defenseman Brian McNamara ’15 skated the puck out of the defensive zone and chipped it to forward Matt Doyle ’14 at the blue line. Doyle found Mistretta in the slot, and the sophomore ripped one top-shelf to give the Ephs a 3-2 win.

“You can’t take any game for granted, and this was a great contest,” Head Coach Bill Kangas said.  “At the end, we were able to make one more play than they were. We played some of our best hockey when it mattered in the third period. This win should be a good one for us going forward, as overtime wins help build confidence.”

Friday night saw another Williams win as the men defeated Tufts 5-3. Tufts held a 2-1 advantage in the second period until Alex DeBaere ’15 put in a rebound off the initial shot from Paul Steinig ’14 to even the score. The Ephs’ third goal came from Jarrett, who put a quick wrister past the Jumbos’ netminder to make the score 3-2. The Ephs remained in the lead for the rest of the game thanks to goals by Rubino and Evan Dugdale ’13 in the third, which boosted the men above the Jumbos 5-2. One more Tufts goal was not enough to mount a rebound, and the men closed out the contest in the lead 5-3 for their third win on the season.

On Nov. 24, the men faced off against Gustavus Adolphus in a close contest that ended in a 4-2 Williams loss. The Ephs were down 2-0 in the third period before Dugdale and Rubino registered a goal apiece with assists from Cody Skinner ’13, co-captain Mark Lyons ’13 and assistant captain Nick Anderson ’14 to tie the game 2-2. However, the Gusties put themselves ahead once more at 3-2 with five minutes left in the third period. Unfortunately, Williams was not able to tie the game even after pulling goalie Sean Dougherty ’15. The game ended 4-2 following an empty-net Gustie goal in the last 30 seconds of the third period. Despite the tough competition, Dougherty put forth a great effort in goal, racking up 27 saves.

Williams took St. Olaf down in a decisive 4-0 win on Nov. 23 in its first home game of the season. Dugdale led the charge with a goal seven minutes into the first off a pass from Skinner, boosting the men to 1-0. Dougherty kept St. Olaf at bay for the rest of the period and allowed the Ephs to maintain their one-goal lead through the end of the period. Rookie defenseman Greg Johnson ’16 notched his first collegiate goal 13 minutes into the second period with a long shot from the point, putting the Ephs ahead by two goals. Just 18 seconds later, fellow rookie Taylor Carmola ’16 capitalized on a rebound opportunity with a shot from the slot, making the score 3-0. The Ephs carried their offensive momentum into the third period, as Mistretta one-timed a pass to Anderson, who scored the Ephs’ fourth and final goal, earning the men a 4-0 shutout victory.

On Nov. 17, Williams beat Colby 3-2 in its second game of the season off scores from Mistretta, Rubino and Tucker Dayton ’14 following a tough 2-0 away loss to Bowdoin on Nov. 16, the men’s first game of the 2012-13 season.

The men look forward to another two NESCAC home games at the Lansing-Chapman Rink this weekend: They will face off against Amherst this Friday at 7 p.m. and Hamilton on Saturday at 3 p.m.