Women’s track readies to compete

Women’s track and field is preparing to defend its Div. III New England Regional indoor title in the upcoming season. Last year the team also took 13th place at the Div. III NCAA National Indoor Championship and will look to qualify many individuals and two relays to this year’s March contest. Interim Head Coaches Pete Farwell ’73 and Dick Farley are anticipating an exciting winter season of teamwork, personal bests, great competition and many successes. The team will begin competition on Dec. 1 at Smith’s invitational meet.

Graduated team leaders and standout performers will be missed: jumper and multi-eventer Karyn Moss ’12, tri-captain sprinter Hilary Higgs ’12 and tri-captain distancd runner Natalie Davis ’12. In their place, the team will turn to this year’s four captains – Rebecca Fine ’13, Tanasia Hoffler ’13, Brooke Johnson ’13 and Brianne Mirecki ’14 – for leadership.

The team’s depth across events will be the major strength for the women. In the jumps, Hoffler is a three-time national champion in the triple jump and All-American long jumper, Julie Paschal ’13 is a school record holder in the high jump and Johnson is a national NCAA competitor in the long and triple jumps. Jenna Adams ’14 returns as a national competitor in the pole vault. The throws squad will feature returner and All-American Amina Avril ’14, a national qualifier in the weight who is also strong in the shotput.  Elise Pitmon ’16 and Grace Weatherall ’16 will compete in the pentathlon. The mid-distance group boasts strong returning competitors, including Mirecki, a distance medley relay and mile NCAA qualifier, and Fine, a standout 800 meter and 4×400 meter relay racer. Meg Richardson ’16 and Sophie Chatas ’16 should make an impact, too. The longer distance group will be led by Kaleigh Kenny ’14, an All-Region cross country runner, Louisa Lee ’14 and Adrienne Strait ’15, Amelia Ortiz ’15 and Alison Smith ’15. All-American Annie Lynch ’14, a 100-meter national qualifier, will lead the sprinter pack with Desiree Daring ’13, Amanda Murashige ’14, Haley Stewart ’15  and Ashley Graves ’15, plus Hoffler, the team’s top hurdler. They will be key components of a stellar 1600-meter relay. The Ephs are prepared to turn in a dominant season on the track and in the field.

Assistant Coach Howard Parwell is looking forward to the season: “The team is training hard with great enthusiam, has talent in every event group and is looking forward to many exciting meets together, especially at championship time,” he said.