Women’s squash rosters deep squad

After finishing second in the ‘B’ division at Nationals, women’s squash is looking forward to another strong season. The women are currently ranked 10th in the nation, joining Trinity as the only two NESCAC schools ranked in the top 10; the Ephs also went 16-12 overall and 6-2 in the NESCAC last season. The team will be striving toward victory this season with a solid core of returning players as well as some key first-year additions.

Co-captains Laura Henry ’13 and Alli Rubin ’13, both members of last year’s All-NESCAC team, will be leading a strong team dominated by experienced seniors. The team will benefit greatly from having Henry, Hannah Kaemmer ’13 and Mia Fry ’13 on the court for the entire season this year, as all three were abroad for the first matches of last year. Katherine Belk ’13 and Hollis Miller ’13 are also returning and looking to contribute to the team in their final season.

While the Ephs will feel the loss of last year’s three seniors, especially last season’s captain and top-seed Courtney Bogle ’12, the team will reload with three strong players from the rookie class. Emily Grant ’16, Nicole Feshbach ’16 and Hailey Herring-Newbound ’16 are all expected to play in the top 10, according to Rubin.

These strong senior and rookie classes are bolstered by the presence of two juniors and two sophomores, all returning from strong 2011-12 seasons. Alyssa Northtrop ’14, returning from another successful season at the No. 4 slot, will be the sole junior for the beginning of the season as Gibbs Cullen ’14 will be abroad and will not return to match play until Jan. 5, when the women take on Yale and Colby. Ellie O’Neill ’15 and Caroline Sawin ’15, in the No. 5 and No. 6 slots, respectively, both finished the season ranked in the top 125 players in the nation and are set to contribute greatly to the team in their sophomore seasons.

Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 will lead the Ephs in his 10th season as head coach as his team strives to build on last year’s exemplary season. Rubin, encouraged by the team’s No. 10 ranking, is excited for the upcoming season. “Our goal this season is to maintain that ranking and even climb a few spots if we win some key matches,” she said. “It’s been a fall full of tough training sessions and practice matches, and everyone is anxious to get on the courts against other teams.”

The team will travel to Hamilton on Friday for its first match at 6:30 p.m. On Saturday, the women will take on Cornell at 10 a.m. and Stanford at 1 p.m. at Cornell. The women will next host the University of Pennsylvania on Nov. 30, Drexel and Trinity on Dec. 1 and Princeton on Dec. 2.