WCMA hires Dorin as deputy director

PHOTO COURTESY OF NEW CITY ART.

On Nov. 6, the Williams College Museum of Art  (WCMA) announced that Lisa Dorin ’00 will become the new deputy director for curatorial affairs. Dorin, who received a bachelor’s degree in art history from the University of California at Santa Cruz, earned her master’s degree from the College in 2000. Since then, she has worked at WCMA as an assistant curator and with the Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) as an assistant curator of contemporary art.

Dorin has given many gallery talks at the AIC and has served as a guest lecturer at academic and artistic institutions such as Columbia and the University of Chicago. She has also participated in several important initiatives, including the Chicago Artists’ Coalition’s History, Arts, Technology, Culture and Happenings (HATCH) project and the Art Commission Committee for Chicago’s Bloomingdale Trail.

Dorin is excited about the opportunity to return to WCMA and be back on campus. “It is an incredible honor to return to the museum where, having just completed the graduate program in art history, I had my first full-time curatorial position,” Dorin said. “So much of who I have become as a curator, my deep respect and love for artists and the work they do, was formed when I was beginning my career at WCMA.”

She also emphasized the profound role that her colleagues at WCMA played in her development as a curator. She remembers especially the impact of “the mentorship of former director Linda Shearer and curator Deborah Rothschild” on her appreciation of the art community.

Dorin said she looks forward to “rekindling relationships with Williams faculty members [Professor of Art] Liza Johnson, [Associate Professor of Art and Chair of Latina/o Studies] Ondine Chavoya, [Class of 1956 Professor of American Civilization] Mark Reinhardt and many others with whom I had the opportunity to collaborate in the past and to developing new connections.”

Dorin and current WCMA Director Tina Olsen are enthusiastic about the future of the WCMA and their shared goals for the museum. “Lisa Dorin brings to the museum tremendous knowledge of contemporary artistic practice around the globe and a deep commitment to the teaching mission of the museum,” Olsen said.  “I can’t imagine anyone better positioned to push the museum’s curatorial program forward.”

“I am eager to work with her, through the exhibition and acquisition program, to move the museum toward these goals,” Dorin said of working closely with Olsen going forward.

“The vision that director Tina Olsen has outlined will launch the museum into a future that simultaneously increases and solidifies its integration with the campus and augments the national visibility that it has historically enjoyed,” she continued. “It is an exciting time for the Williams College Museum of Art.”