Men’s squash rallies for start of season

Men’s squash is looking to bounce back from a difficult postseason last year under the leadership of tri-captains Nick Marks ’13, Jack Ervasti ’13 and Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13.

According to Greaves-Tunnell, the team is hoping to rebound from its showing at Nationals last winter on the strength of a young, deep squad.

“We’re going to push ourselves to achieve as much as we can this year,” Greaves-Tunnell said. “We stumbled last year at Nationals and that left us plenty of ground to make up.”

The team closed out a 16-11 season in February with a 5-4 loss to St. Lawrence. The defeat knocked the men out of Nationals and dropped the team two spots in the rankings, from No. 10 to No. 12, on the weekend.

Greaves-Tunnell believes that the team’s incoming class of rookies will be key in helping propel the men to the top of the rankings this season. The team’s five rookies – Tyler Conroy ’16, Galen Squiers ’16, Michael Petrick ’16, Rohan Paranjpe ’16 and Varun Sharma ’16 – are “already shaping up to be a great class,” the tri-captain said. “We’ve had a very intense and competitive preseason, so they’re more physically prepared and mentally mature than the typical first-year class.”

The team’s youth will be an asset to the program this year and going forward as well. “One of the benefits of having five great freshmen is that the team has incredible depth this year,” Greaves-Tunnell said. “Anyone is capable of playing in the top nine, and with 17 players, we have the horses to stay competitive throughout a very long season.”

Last season, the men lost five players – Will Morris ’12, Michael Pizzi ’12, Aaron Seong ’12, Jared Zuckerman ’12 and Adnan Khan ’12 – to graduation. Morris was the only Eph to garner First Team All-NESCAC honors last winter, though then-rookie Kevin Chen ’15 nabbed a slot on the conference’s second team.

Behind the leadership of its tri-captains and Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01, men’s squash is ready for the upcoming winter season. The men will kick off competition with away match-ups at Hamilton at 5 p.m. on Friday and Cornell at 10 a.m. on Saturday. After Thanksgiving break, the men will host the University of Pennsylvania, Trinity and Harvard on Nov. 30, Dec. 1 and Dec. 2, respectively.

“We’ll be looking to avenge losses to Columbia and St. Lawrence and to take down a few other close teams,” Greaves-Tunnell said, referencing the University of Pennsylvania and Bates in particular. “It is perfectly realistic to imagine our team back in the top 10 by the end of the year.”