Athletes of the Week: Louisa Lee ’14 and Michael Madding ’15

Louisa Lee '14
Louisa Lee ’14
Louisa Lee ’14
Women’s Cross Country (Short Hills, N.J.)

“Louisa’s improvement in the past weeks has been nothing short of phenomenal. She has surged up in our lineup to this weekend’s All-Region performer, our vital fourth scorer enabling the team to qualify automatically for the NCAA finals. She is always diligent, highly coachable, supportive of her teammates and upbeat.” – Pete Farwell ’73, Head Coach

Lee finished 18th in a time of 22:12 last weekend at the New England Div. III Regional Cross Country Championship in what was a breakthrough race for the junior. She finished as the Ephs’ fourth scorer, contributing to the women’s second-place finish. The team placed just behind MIT, the host and No. 1-ranked team nationally. This was Lee’s first time scoring in the Ephs’ top seven. She earned All-Region honors for her performance.

Michael Madding '15
Michael Madding ’15
Michael Madding ’15
Men’s Soccer (Hillsborough, Calif.)

“Michael has performed very well for us in his midfield position. He has very good skill with the ball and recently has been delivering some great final passes behind opponents defenses. He also is capable of scoring goals, as was exemplified by his composed game-winning volley versus St. Lawrence.” – Mike Russo, Head Coach

Madding propelled the No. 9 Ephs into the Round of 16 in the Div. III NCAA tournament with his overtime goal to give the men a 2-1 victory over No. 13 St. Lawrence. The goal marked Madding’s second on the season. With the win, the Ephs improve to 15-1-3. Madding has appeared in all 19 of the men’s games this year and started in 12. He recorded two shots against St. Lawrence.