Women’s XC captures 3rd place at ECACs

Williams raced to third in last Saturday’s ECAC Championships with a 140-point finish. Middlebury defended its title with 31 points, and Tufts took second with 63 points. Drew’s Jennifer Van Wingerden took the individual title in 22:54. The women rested their top 10 runners to prepare for Div. III New Englands on Saturday.

Meg Richardson ’16 was both the first to finish for the Ephs and the first rookie to finish the race, crossing the line in fourth (23:16). Borah Lim ’16 placed 20th in 24:01. Sophie Chatas ’16, coming back from an extended illness that plagued most of her season, came in 32nd (24:23). Blair Robinson ’13 placed 40th in 24:38. Rounding out the top five scorers, Kathryn McNaughton ’16 took 51st in 24:52. Anna Ryba ’16 claimed 64th in 25:06 and Emily Barecca ’14 finished up for the Ephs in 79th in a time of 25:15.

“We’re excited at the performance of this young squad, featuring five first-years, and that they did so well over the 6k distance, which is new to them,” Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said.

Most of the top teams race their second seven at ECACs in order to rest their top seven racers for the upcoming regional and national championships. For other schools, ECACs is their last meet of the season, so they race all of their runners. Williams chose to race roster numbers 11 through 17. Middlebury raced part of its top seven to determine its alternate for the final meets.

“With Meg Richardson leading the way in a breakout race, [the women] packed in to capture the third-place podium position behind much higher ranked runners from the Middlebury and Tufts teams,” Farwell said. The women will race at the New England Div. III Regional Championships hosted by Westfield State this Saturday at noon.