Athletes of the Week: Alex Scyocurka ’14 and Laura Wann ’14

Alex Scyocurka ’14
Football (Longmeadow, Mass.)
Alex Scyocurka ’14
“Alex is a tremendous person and player. He was very highly recruited, and injuries have slowed him down the last few years. We have been hoping and waiting for him to have a breakout game like he did. We know he is extremely talented, and we are hoping to build on his performance this week as we face Amherst. I am proud to coach Alex.” -Aaron Kelton, Head Coach

Scyocurka earned NESCAC Co-Offensive Player of the Week honors last weekend for his stand-out performance in the men’s 19-7 victory over Wesleyan. He tallied 205 rushing yards on 29 carries last Saturday, one of which was a 93-yard touchdown run to put the Ephs on the board first against the Cardinals. The run set a Williams and a Div. III record for the longest touchdown run from the line of scrimmage. Scyocurka has averaged 5.5 yards per carry this season.

Laura Wann ’14
Women’s soccer (Palos Verdes, Calif.)
Laura Wann ’14

“Laura Wann is one of the best goalkeepers in the country. She has been battered with injuries through her four years, and every time she comes back stronger and more committed to the team and our team goals. She is a wonderful combination of athleticism, strength,  technical proficiency and calm in stressful situations. She was awesome this weekend!” – Michelyne Pinard, Head Coach

Wann was named NESCAC Player of the Week for her performance last weekend in the women’s shootout victory against Bowdoin, a win that earned the women the NESCAC title. She made two critical penalty kick saves to shut out the Polar Bears 3-0 in the shootout win. Wann also recorded three saves during the course of regular play. In her fourth season on the team, the netminder is 4-1-1 for the season and has tallied a total of 37 saves for a .900 goals against average.