Prof. Nancy Roseman named first female president of Dickinson

October 31, 2012 by Lindsay Thygesen, News Editor

Professor of Biology and former Dean of the College Nancy Roseman will officially assume her role as president of Dickinson College on July 1.

On Sunday, the College announced that Nancy Roseman, professor of biology and former dean of the College, has been named Dickinson’s first female president. Roseman will replace William G. Durden, who has been  president of Dickinson for the previous 14 years. Roseman will officially become Dickinson’s 28th president on July 1.

In addition to serving as dean of the College, Roseman has also been director of the Williams-Exeter Programme at Oxford and an influential member in numerous committees, including the Faculty Steering Committee and the Committee on Educational Policy.

Additionally, Roseman helped launch many programs at the College, including a new residential life program. She also helped raise money for, plan the design of and facilitate the opening of the Paresky Center. At press time, Roseman had not responded to requests for comment.

The Dickinson Board of Trustees chose Roseman as the college’s next president after an eight-month international search that pitted Roseman against more than 200 candidates.

The board is confident that Roseman’s experience in advising many of the management decisions of the College will make her an excellent fit as a president of Dickinson.

“In her time as dean, Nancy [Roseman] did tremendous things for the College,” Dean Bolton said. “From creating the Paresky Center to bringing in our first director of academic resources, Nancy [Roseman] made Williams better for students in important and lasting ways. Dickinson will be very lucky to have her.”

In an all-campus e-mail on Sunday, President Falk commented on Roseman’s qualifications and expressed his excitement about her appointment. “As much as we’ll miss her here at Williams, I’m absolutely delighted for Nancy and for Dickinson,” Falk wrote in the e-mail.