Men’s crew caps season at Saratoga

Men’s crew concluded its fall season at the Head of the Fish on Saturday. The regatta ended an exciting fall season that saw the Ephs place two boats in the top 15 at the Head of the Charles.

The day began with the varsity lightweight fours event, which includes athletes under 165 pounds. The Ephs came in at 12:05.19 and 12:58.46, placing first and seventh, respectively. The two heavyweight crews also snatched first and second, posting impressive times of 12:12.74 and 12:23.82, respectively.

The first-years did not disappoint, taking second in the collegiate novice eight with a quick time of 11:36.98. The experienced first-years will now join the walk-ons to create a first-year team for spring racing.

The varsity squad decided to shake up the traditional 1V, 2V and 3V lineups and so competed with new lineups. The top two boats competed in the first varsity event and placed fourth at 11:02.74 and seventh at 11:09.34, respectively. However, the important results for the men were the intersquad times. The men’s 1V, which was an upperclassmen boat, beat out the men’s 2V, a sophomore boat, by 6.6 seconds. Finally, the 3V competed in the junior varsity event and placed sixth in a time of 11:51.13.

“This whole weekend has been a great display of dedication and immense energy,” Head Coach Peter Wells ’79 said. “I think the guys did a great job of pushing through the end of the season, and this should give us some good momentum heading into winter training.”