Field hockey falls 3-0 to Bowdoin

Field hockey (6-9, 4-6 in the NESCAC) fell 4-0 to Middlebury on Oct. 24 in its final regular season game and losing 3-0 to Bowdoin in the quarterfinal round of the NESCAC playoffs on Saturday. With the loss, the women are eliminated from the NESCAC playoffs and conclude their season.

On Saturday, the women took on Bowdoin in the NESCAC quarterfinals. Bowdoin came out attacking. Rachel Kennedy scored just 1:34 into the first half to give the Polar Bears a 1-0 lead. Brooke Phinney then scored 26:09 into the first half to put Bowdoin up 2-0. In the second half, Kennedy added her second goal of the game at 43:36. The Ephs were unable to stage a comeback, falling 3-0.

Despite losing, the women held Bowdoin to 17 shots, a huge improvement from their last meeting on Oct. 7, when the Polar Bears tallied 27 shots.

On Oct. 24, the women dropped their final game of the regular season 4-0 to Middlebury, the top team in Div. III. Led by defender Jaclyn Porfilio ’15 and Spiliotes, who recorded 15 saves total, the women held Middlebury off for most of the first half. However, Catherine Fowler and Lauren Greer each managed to find the back of the net. Fowler got the Panthers on the scoreboard at 22:05 and Greer scored minutes later to give Middlebury a 2-0 lead.

Goals at 61:40 and 69:36 gave Middlebury a 4-0 win. Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 praised both the women and Bowdoin’s performances. “When you play the best team in the nation, there can be no lapses in your play,” Barrale said. “Despite our struggles on offense, this was one of our best games this season.”

The women will lose three seniors to graduation this coming spring: Katie Pettengill ’13 and co-captains Sarah Eades ’13 and Casey Greene ’13.