Athletes of the Week: Darren Hartwell ’13 and Kaleigh Kenny ’14

Darren Hartwell ’13 
Football (North Reading, Mass.)
Darren Hartwell ’13

“Darren is a tremendous player and a major impact player in our program. He has achieved this newest accomplishment by playing hard and preparing well. Darren is a hard worker who cares about Williams, his teammates, his classmates and those in his life. I am honored to be his coach, and I am glad he is on my team.” -Aaron Kelton, Head Coach

Hartwell was named NESCAC Special Teams Player of the Week last week after he set a Williams touchdown receiving record with 19 touchdown receptions in the men’s 34-26 victory against Hamilton last weekend. Hartwell had six receptions for 86 yards in Saturday’s game. The senior opened the game with a bang for the Ephs: The tri-captain returned the opening kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown. Hartwell also holds school records for the longest punt return for a touchdown (77 yards), most kickoffs returned (44) and most total yards (1004).

Kaleigh Kenny ’14 
Women’s Cross Country (Glen Rock, N.J.)
Kaleigh Kenny ’14

“Kaleigh has made a huge leap in performance this season. She is steady in her training, efficient in form, consistent in races, quiet yet competitive. Saturday’s race was phenomenal, as she stayed relaxed yet fast throughout. She has now emerged to become one of the best runners in NESCAC.” – Pete Farwell ’73, Head Coach

Kenny was one of three Ephs to finish in the top five at last weekend’s NESCAC Championships at Bowdoin. Kenny finished atop the Williams field, placing third with a time of 21:37.80. Kenny’s strong performance contributed to her team’s first-place finish and the women’s second consecutive NESCAC title. Kenny’s impressive showing pushed the women past conference rivals Middlebury and Amherst for the win.