Women’s soccer downs Colby 2-1, tops NESCAC

Women’s soccer (10-2-1, 8-0-1 in the NESCAC) defeated Colby 2-1 on the road on Saturday to remain undefeated in conference play and maintain its spot at the top of the NE- SCAC. Amherst and Middlebury cur- rently sit half a game out as the season comes to a close.

The Ephs went on the board first after Alison Magruder ’15 scored in the 22nd minute. Carla Nicasio ’14 fired a shot that deflected off Magrud- er and over the head of Mule keeper Emily Brook, putting the Ephs on top 1-0. The first half ended with the Ephs on top by the same margin.

The Mules started the second half aggressively. In the 52nd minute, Amanda Findlay played a ball ahead to Annie Papadellis, who snuck a shot past Eph keeper Laura Wann ’14 to tie the game at 1-1.

The two teams battled for a winning goal up until the 79th minute when Hana Tomozawa ’15 slipped the ball to Nicasio in the box. Nicasio sent the ball into the back of the net for her third goal this season. The score gave the women a 2-1 advantage that lasted for the rest of the game to give Wil- liams its 10th win of the season.

The Ephs recorded 13 shots to the Mules’ 10 on the game. Wann tallied one save in the second half while Eph keeper Hannah Van Wetter ’15 posted two saves in the first half.

“It wasn’t pretty, but we got the result we needed,” Head Coach Michelyne Pinard said. “We are thrilled to be back on Cole for Wednesday’s game.”

The women look to further their five-game win streak against Mid- dlebury at home today at 2 p.m. in their final regular season match. The outcome of the game will determine seeding for the NESCAC playoffs.

The women will host the first round of NESCAC playoffs this Saturday on Cole Field.