Women’s crew impresses at Head of Charles

Women’s crew traveled to Boston, Mass., to compete in the renowned Head of the Charles Regatta last weekend.

Tough conditions, including a 20 mph headwind, plagued the boats. However, the Ephs pushed through to strong finishes for both the 1V boat, which placed third, and the 2V boat, which took 10th.

The starting order was determined by last year’s performance in the competition. The women’s 1V started in the first bow, opening the collegiate eight race. Despite the rough conditions, the 1V pulled off a respectable time of 18:01.38. This was enough to place the women in third, just one second behind Williams Smith and four seconds ahead of Grand Valley State.

The 2V boat entered in with bow six and was one of the only 2V boats competing in the collegiate eight category. The Ephs rose to the occasion, finishing ahead of 15 1V boats from various schools and posting a time of 18:36.93 to come in 10th overall. This was enough to beat Georgia Tech’s 1V by a second and beat Bates’ 2V by over a minute.

“We had a solid weekend at the Head of the Charles, finishing with both varsity boats in the top 10,” co-captain Kat Amano ’13 said.  “The Charles was also a great chance for us to gain momentum heading into the final race of the season and winter training.”

The women will compete in the Head of the Fish in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. on Saturday. This will be the women’s final race of the fall season.