One in 2000: Rebecca Comella ’14

If you have never met Rebecca Comella ’14, you are missing out. But even if you haven’t met her, you have probably heard her infectious laugh ringing through Paresky, or seen her smile at you on the way to class. Comella is probably the happiest person alive, which she consistently reminds the world of on Facebook. Hidden away in the Record office, we met with her to talk about her baking habits, anonymous love letters and how to burn fuel.

LN: I think we should start with the bakeshop that you once owned. We want to hear about that – what does that mean?

I created my own baking company when I was younger. It was called “Becca’s Bakery.” This was in high school. I made chocolate chip cookies and brownies and brought them to choir practice. I was in a choir with 80 girls, and they would crowd around me and I would sell about 50 cookies every morning. It was fantastic. Later I started selling made-to-order cakes and brownies, too.

AM: Did your parents get annoyed that you were usurping the kitchen?

No, because I used to not be able to boil water. They thought it was a great improvement.

LN: Wait, your dad is a baker, right? How did you not know how to boil water?

Yeah, my dad is a professional baker. But I guess I never learned. Well, I was younger … maybe 13 … definitely not an appropriate age to not know how to boil water. My dad asked me to boil water and I was like, “How do you do that?” They still laugh at me for that and say, “It is crazy to know that you have gone so far!”

AM: How do you feel about pre-made batters and box cakes?

Ew, no. If I make stuff, it has to be artistic. I have to take my time. I love decorating it, too.

LN: Do you make cookies at Williams too?

I went home for reading period, and I really wanted to bake. Lehman doesn’t have a stove, and I missed cooking. So I went home and spent an entire day baking and cooking with my dad. We froze a bunch of cookie dough – like many, many batches – and brought it to school, and I’ve been slowly feeding sticks of frozen cookie dough to my pick group. We’re almost done with them. They can eat.

LN: You also sing in an a cappella group, right?

Yes, Ephlats. It’s the sexiest a cappella group.

AM: Do you make it sexy?

Yes, for sure. For Halloween, we’re going to dress as party animals. So basically animals that wear party hats. I think I might be a turtle. But I recently saw a picture of an alpaca costume, and I was like, “That’s the animal of my people. Maybe I should be that.” It had an alpaca butt that you attached to your own behind with fake legs and stuff. That would be sexy, right?

AM: Definitely. What do you mean by “your people”?

Peruvian. I’m from Peru. My mom was an immigrant here over 25 years ago, and she met my dad here. Then they got married and had me and my brother. I really identify with being Peruvian. I love speaking Spanish and eating Peruvian food, which I love and miss so much. I go back to visit my family sometimes. It’s a great place.

LN: So have you been singing for a long time?

Yes, definitely. I’ve been singing since I was little. I used to be really obnoxious and tell everyone, “Let me sing! Let me sing!” I was really into Shania Twain.

AM: We hear you’re also really into Adele. 

[Gets extremely shrill and excited.] Oh my goodness, yes! ADELE HAD A BABY, AND IT WAS A BOY. I sent the news to everybody via text. My dad texted me back, “Congratulations.” I really like babies. I would be her unpaid nanny, if she would sing to me occasionally.

AM: When did this love come about?

Probably after her second album came about. I listened to it, and I was just like, “Adele, you feel my 12-year-old pain. It’s beautiful.”

AM: I don’t think you were 12 when the album came out!

No, no! It was just my pain from when I was 12, and I was … you know … angsty.

LN: Why were you so angsty as a 12-year-old? Boy problems?

Definitely. When I was 12, I wrote an anonymous love letter to a boy. I made my friend give it to him. He never responded! I told him I thought he was really cute. I was pretty aggressive then.

LN: Do you still write these letters?

No. After that rejection, I was done putting myself out there. I’m done with the anonymous love letters thing. Now I put my name on it. I’ve written letters to my boyfriend Khaled Awad ’14 though. Can I give a shout out to him? Khaled, if you are reading this … hi. Actually, forget that. You should be reading this – no “if.”

LN: Yeah, he should be reading this! So we heard you did a cool trip over the summer – what was it?

I went to Honduras, kind of spur of the moment, to volunteer at a medical clinic in a rural town. It was the first time I was somewhere completely by myself. It was very different – I got to hear gunshots every night – that was a thing. The family I lived with would be like, “Yeah there is gang violence down the street. We think somebody got killed but don’t worry, it’s fine!” So I guess it was? [She shrugs.] I got kind of homesick the first week there.

AM: Man, we are glad you survived that! Can I ask you what you are wearing on your arm right now?

It’s a fuel band … Damn, I knew you would ask me. I’m not the only one who has one!

LN: Why are you so defensive about this?

It’s a thing, okay?  People keep laughing at me. It’s like a Nike watch that counts fuel. It counts your steps and such and gives you a fuel score. It makes sure that I do enough exercise, and it shows me if I reach my fuel-burning goal.

AM: Any special tips for reaching your goal?

Well, one time I did the “Gangnam Style” dance with my roommates for a while to reach the goal. It was fantastic.

LN: So other than that, you are also wearing cute clothes. Are clothes big for you?

Oh man, yes. Do you want to talk about my tag sale love?

LN: Yes.

Ah, I love the tag sales. Every year I look forward to it, and I just don’t buy clothing for the fall. I save my money and just buy stuff at the tag sale. The clothes are really cheap and great!

AM: What kind of wake-up call do those require? 

This year I woke up at 7:30 a.m. with my friends to go to the tag sale the morning after first First Fridays. We thought it was the clothing tag sale. It was not … poor life choices. But the clothing one was amazing. I spent like 60 dollars and got bags of clothes!

LN: You really like your Facebook statuses, yes?

Yes! Every day, or almost every day I publish my “awesome thing of the day.” It reminds me that no matter how bad the day is, there is something that was great. Every day has an awesome moment.

AM: Will this interview be your awesome thing of the day?

Ummm … definitely!