Women’s golf ends fall undefeated

Women’s golf capped off a perfect season last weekend with a win at the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational. The women turned in a two-day total of 623 to beat Merrimack by 13 strokes on the heels of an impressive showing at the Williams Fall Classic on Oct. 6-7. Georgiana Salant ’14 took home the individual title both this weekend and on Oct. 6-7 at the Taconic, claiming her second and third consecutive top finishes on the fall. This is the second straight season in which the Ephs have gone undefeated.

The invitational was held at Nehoiden Golf Club, a nine-hole course. Therefore, each player had to complete the nine holes twice each day. The Ephs did not seem to be fazed by this adjustment, however, and competed with their usual strength.

The women performed well on the individual side of play. Salant played extremely consistently, scoring a 38 on both rounds of the nine holes to finish with a Day One score of 76. Paige Whidbee ’15 also played well on Day One, posting a score of 78. Victoria Student ’13 and Shelby Shote ’15 tied with  scores of 81. Maggie Mitts ’15 rounded out the Ephs’ roster with a 93 on Day One.

After Day One of the two-day tournament, the women held a six-shot lead over Merrimack, with a score of 316 to Merrimack’s 322.

The women held onto their lead on Day Two, shooting a season best of 307 to stay ahead of Merrimack and capture another tournament victory. This put their two-day team total at 623. Merrimack followed in second, shooting a 314 on Day Two and finishing with a total score of 636.

“With Merrimack within striking distance on the final day, it was important for us to remain focused on playing our own games and working to meet our team goals,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said. “We did just that, and as a result we were able to post our best team total of the season.”

On the individual side, Salant finished an impressive season by shooting a 72 on Day Two, which was enough to put her in first place overall. Mount Holyoke’s Madi Mendiola followed in second four strokes back. This was Salant’s third consecutive individual title this season. Student and Shote also played well on Day Two, posting scores of 77 and 78, respectively. Whidbee followed closely behind with a Day Two score of 80 to round out the team total. Mitts stayed consistent and posted a score of 92, one stroke ahead of her Day One score.

“Our team seemed to enjoy every moment on the course this weekend, laughing and cheering one another on,” DeSanty said. “It is a pleasure for me to watch knowing they play for one another and really make each better each day.”

Two weekends ago, the Ephs won their own fall invitational, the Williams Fall Classic. The women defended their home Taconic Golf Club course by 19 strokes, topping second-place Ithaca with a two-day total of 641. The individual win went to Salant. Her two-day total of 144 set a new record for the women, and her par score of 71 tied the record for the team’s best score at the Taconic. All members of the team placed within the top 30 of the 69-player field, proving the depth and talent of this season’s squad.

After an incredibly successful fall season, the Ephs now look toward the spring. “This has been our best fall yet,” DeSanty said. “We are motivated to continue improving in the spring … We are very proud of the way we ended our season and of all the individual and team achievements we have had.”