Men finish with 2-stroke victory

Men’s golf finished its fall season on Oct. 6-7 at the Hamilton Invitational in central New York. The event, hosted by Hamilton, was a major victory for the men, who captured first place by a close, two-stroke margin. On the last day of the competition, the men (613) shot a steady team total of 306 to edge second-place RPI (615) and No. 3 finisher NYU (619).

Individual medalist honors were awarded to Hamilton‘s Greg Scott (149) and Grant Rosener (150) from RPI. Eph standout Dylan Dethier ’14 (151) closed out another consistent season with a third-place individual result.

The two-day tournament started at Yahnudasis Golf Club, a par-71 track, and switched to the par-72 Skenandoa Golf Club on Day Two. With tricky conditions both days of the tournament, the men finished Day One with a two-stroke lead over RPI, which they were able to hold onto throughout Day Two for the win. The Ephs were led by Tony Liu ’16, who fired a 73. Dethier and Michael Stone ’16 followed their teammate closely, each carding a 77 on the day.

Dethier paved the way for Williams on Day Two of the Invite, shooting 74 despite tough conditions. Jake Goldenring ’15 achieved the largest turnaround for the Ephs, beating his previous day’s score by seven to card a 75 on Oct. 7. Stone posted a 78, and both Liu and Matt McCarron ’14 shot 79s.

The Hamilton Invite marked the last tournament of Head Coach Rick Pohle’s tenure at Williams. He will retire from his position as head golf coach and head pro at the Taconic Golf Club at the end of the fall.

“I am extremely proud of our players for the way they competed this weekend; mainly because of the weather and the course conditions, but most of all for their determination,” Pohle said. “I know they wanted to win the final event for me, and I think at times they pushed a little too hard to get the results, but in the end they found a way to keep their perspective and get the job done.”

Pohle was pleased with his final fall  season with the team. “What a great way to end a career, with a fall encompassing three tournament wins and an overall record of 63-4,” Pohle said.

The 29-year head coach ends his time with the team having amassed 10 NESCAC titles and six NESCAC Coach of the Year awards amidst 10 NCAA Tournament appearances.

Under Pohle, men’s golf had a particularly successful fall, winning three of their five events and placing second and fourth in the other two. With their win Oct. 6-7, the Ephs have concluded their fall season and will now focus on preparing for a run at the NCAA Championship in the spring. The team hopes to earn a berth for the first time since 2008. The search for a new head coach is ongoing.