Field hockey drops four straight games

Field hockey (5-8, 3-6 in the NESCAC) fell to Tufts 1-0 on Saturday after taking a tough 2-1 overtime loss to Union on Thursday. Bowdoin proved a difficult opponent on Oct. 7, dropping the women 3-0. On Oct. 6, Amherst defeated the women 3-2.

The women came out strong on Saturday, outshooting Tufts 6-0 and earning three penalty corners. However, the first half ended in a scoreless tie.

Tufts came out energized in the second half, taking 12 shots to Williams’ one. With nine minutes remaining, Tufts was able to score the only goal of the game off a corner and subsequent shot from the far right side of the circle into the left corner of the goal, making the score 1-0 in the Jumbos’ favor at 61:09. Although the Ephs kept up their offensive pressure, they could not get the ball into the back of the cage, and the game ended in a 1-0 Jumbo victory.

“Although we didn’t get the win, we came together and played as a team,” Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 said. “I like to play teams like Tufts. It’s competitive, and it’s fun.”

On Thursday, the women dropped a 2-1 decision to Union in overtime. The Ephs outshot the Dutchwomen 5-2 in the first. After a shot by Caitlin Conlon ’15 was saved by Union netminder Molly McCune, Cary Hairfield ’15 controlled the rebound and made a clean shot into the cage to put the women up 1-0 16:11 in. Union answered back 15 minutes later, earning a goal off a penalty corner to tie the score at 1-1 with five minutes to play in the first half.

The women were more dominant in the second, outshooting Union nine to one and earning five corners while not giving any up. However, regulation time wound down with the score tied at 1-1.

The Ephs then entered overtime play against the Dutchwomen. With four minutes remaining, Unioncreated a four-on-one opportunity in the circle, and although Ariana Spiliotes ’14 stepped out to make the initial save, the Dutchwomen picked the ball up and finished the goal at 81:56. Union ended the game up 2-1.

“We came out slowly in the first half,” Barrale said. “We had a much better second half, and if we had played both halves like that, we would have been successful.”

On Oct. 7, the women fell to NESCAC No. 3 Bowdoin. Play was uneven in the first half, with the Polar Bears taking 18 shots to the Ephs’ none. Bowdoin earned six penalty corners in the first half, scoring on two of six attempts. Spiliotes made an impressive 10 saves in the first half to hold Bowdoin to two.

The Ephs came out much stronger in the second, taking seven shots to the Polar Bears’ nine and earning six corners. Bowdoin scored once more on a chip shot over Spiliotes 15 minutes into the second half to go up 3-0. The Polar Bears then hung on to take the game.

On Oct. 6, Amherst overcame Williams 3-2. Although the Jeffs earned 14 penalty corners in the first half, the Eph defense held strong. The women made good on their one corner attempt of the half when Annie VanWagenen ’16 guided the ball past the Amherst keeper to make the score 1-0 in favor of the Ephs at 22:35. VanWagenen struck again under two minutes later, bringing the score to 2-0 at the 24-minute mark. However, Amherst earned three unanswered goals in the second half to come out on top, notching a winning score with under 10 minutes on the clock. The Jeffs outshot the Ephs 26 to five, and Spiliotes made 14 saves.

The women travel to Colby on Saturday for an 11 a.m. start. “We need a win to secure our spot in the NESCAC tournament,” Barrale said.