Ephs top doubles at Div. III College Nat’ls

Last weekend, co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 competed in the National Small College singles and Doubles Championship, where the duo notched a victory in the Div. III doubles category. On Oct. 6, men’s tennis traveled to Hanover, N.H., to compete in its final team event of the fall, the annual Dartmouth Shootout.

Last weekend, Meyer and Micheli competed in the National Small College Doubles Championship after qualifying for competition via the USTA/ITA New England Regional on Sept. 30. In order to claim the USTA/ITA New England Regional Championship and qualify for the National Small College Championship, Meyer and Micheli won four competitive doubles matches, including one match against their own teammates, Felix Sun ’13 and Alex Schidlovsky ’16, in the semifinals. Meyer and Micheli earned All-American honors for their victory.

The winning team from the New England Region tournament feeds into the Small College Championships, held this year at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center in Mobile, Ala. The Small College Championships is comprised of the eight regional champions and at-large selections from NCAA Div. II and III, the NAIA and junior or community colleges. Meyer and Micheli held the No. 2 seed heading into the championship.

On Friday, Meyer and Micheli won the Div. III doubles title at the Small College Championships by defeating Andrew La Cava and James Rivers of Whitman 7-6 (6), 6-3. The final-round victory marked the second time Meyer had been part of the Small College doubles championship team; he also claimed the title in 2011 with then-doubles partner Bryan Chow ’13.

By winning the Div. III title, the duo earned the right to play in the “Super Bowl” Championship, which included teams from all of the divisions represented at the Small Colleges Tournament. The men fell to their Div. II regional champion opponents from Armstrong 6-1, 6-1. This dealt Meyer and Micheli their only loss of the fall; they concluded their season with a 9-1 record.

“Matt [Micheli] and Trey [Meyer] competed really well. [Meyer] brought great energy to pull them through the tight moments. They definitely carried each other,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said.

At the Dartmouth Shootout on Oct. 6, there were five flights of singles tournaments and three flights of doubles tournaments.

In the first flight of singles, Schidlovsky and Zach Weiss ’13 represented the men. Zach Weiss advanced to the second round, losing to the eventual champion of the first flight, Erik Nordahl from Dartmouth, 7-5, 6-2. In the second flight, Howie Weiss ’16 took home the consolation title, defeating his Army opponent in a closely contested match 2-6, 6-2, 10-5.

In doubles, Brian Astrachan ’16 and Schidlovsky competed in the first flight, losing their first match 8-4 to Dartmouth but rebounding over Stony Brook 8-5 to take the consolation tournament. Blake Mackall ’16 and Raventos beat their Stony Brook opponent 8-4 before losing 8-2 to Dartmouth in the second round. Zach Weiss and Howie Weiss also played in the second flight, advancing past Army 8-5 before succumbing to Stony Brook in the second round.

The Dartmouth Shootout marks the end of the men’s fall season. The Ephs will see action again in the spring, beginning with a tournament at Pomona-Pfizer on March 19.