Women’s soccer garners 3rd shutout

Women’s soccer (5-2, 4-0 in the NESCAC) defeated Springfield 3-0 on Sept. 26. The Ephs were able to garner their first competitive out of conference win thanks to a goal apiece from Hayley Cook ’14, Lindsey Vandergrift ’16 and Carla Nicasio ’14.

The women’s first goal came early, just 11:05 into the match. Chloe Kuh ’13 sent a powerful diagonal ball from the top left corner of the box to Cook, who finished the ball far post to give the Ephs a 1-0 lead. The goal marked Cook’s first on the season.

The Ephs tallied another goal before the half came to a close. Crystal Lewin ’16 played a through ball to Vandergrift, whose shot ricocheted off the crossbar and into the net at 42:57. The score was Vandergrift’s first career goal, and it put the Ephs up by two heading into halftime.

The women netted their third and final goal early in the second half. The Ephs were awarded a corner kick, which they sent into the box where Abby Morss ’16 was able to control it and get a shot off on frame, but Pride keeper Erin Greenstein batted the ball away. Fortunately, Nicasio found the rebound and finished it one-touch, sealing the win for the Ephs with her goal at 59:53.

The Pride outshot the Ephs nine to six but could not capitalize on their opportunities. Eph keepers Hannah Van Wetter ’15 and Laura Wann ’14 recorded three saves in the first half and two saves in the second half, respectively.

“Beating Springfield was a huge moment for us as a young team,” Head Coach Michelyne Pinard said. “We are truly getting better tactically, technically and competitively every single day … Scoring three goals against a very good regional foe was incredible. We finished our chances, and what a difference that makes. If we can continue to compete like we did and score when we get our looks at goal, we will be a very dangerous team.”

The women took on Hamilton on the road on Tuesday, a tough NESCAC competitor, but results came in too late to report.

Williams will look to keep up its team energy this weekend as they compete in two tough conference matches; they will travel to Amherst on Saturday to take on the Jeffs (4-0-1 in NESCAC) for a noon game before heading to Maine to take on Bowdoin (3-1-0 in NESCAC) on Sunday at noon.

Hayley Cook ’14 scored one of the women’s three goals in their decisive victory over Springfield. The goal was Cook’s first of the season and helped the women advance to a 5-2 record.