Registering to vote

To the Editor:

If students are planning on voting as  Williamstown residents in the November election, I would like to remind them that the registration deadline in Massachusetts is Wednesday, Oct. 17. The Town Clerk’s office will remain open until 8 p.m. that day. Students who are registered to vote in their hometown and want an absentee ballot must request the absentee ballot from the election office in their hometown. Every state has different deadlines, so you need to be aware of what they are.

If you are registered to vote in Williamstown and you are going to be in Williamstown on Nov. 6, unless you meet the qualifications for an absentee ballot you will need to vote at Williamstown Elementary School on School Street on Election Day. The qualifications for voting absentee in Massachusetts are: 1) absence from the city or town during normal polling hours; 2) physical disability preventing you from going to the polling place; or 3) prevented from reaching the polls due to religious beliefs.

If you have any doubt about your voter registration status, I encourage you to verify it where you registered before the deadline. When you register in Williamstown, we send you a confirmation letter informing you that your registration has been processed. If you believe you have registered to vote in Williamstown and you do not receive a confirmation letter, you should call my office before Oct 17.

I hope you all participate in the election process on Nov. 6, whether casting a ballot at Williamstown Elementary School (polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.) or via an absentee ballot from your hometown.

If you have any questions or concerns about the voting process please feel free to contact me at 458-9341, or stop by my office at the Williamstown Town Hall.

– Mary Courtney Kennedy

Town Clerk