Men’s golf snares slot in NESCACs

Men’s golf qualified for the spring’s NESCAC Championship after taking second place in the NESCAC fall qualifier at Amherst last weekend.

Williams carded a two-day 607, pulling in just behind Trinity, which finished at 594. The men beat out Hamilton (611) and Middlebury (613) for the second-place spot. Amherst (628) finished fifth in the tournament and was eliminated from further NESCAC play, as only the top four finishing teams are granted an automatic berth into the spring championships.

The men teed off on Saturday at Amherst’s par-72 Hickory Ridge Golf Course, facing soft conditions after an overnight rain. The men were led by Ross Bowen ’14, who carded a 74 to take second place for the first day of competition behind Hamilton’s Matt Yung. Matt McCarron ’14 and Jake Goldenring ’15 each posted 77s on the day. The men finished Day One with a team total of 307, three strokes behind leader Trinity and one stroke behind then-second Hamilton.

On Day Two of the tournament, Williams overtook Hamilton to claim second place. The day’s events led to the Ephs putting up an even-par team score of 300. Individually, Bowen, suffering from shoulder pain throughout the second day, shot a 78 on Day Two following his 74 from Day One. Bowen and McCarron tied for the team lead with matching 152s, which was good enough to tie them for seventh overall. Goldenring, Dylan Dethier ’14 and Jake Abrahams ’14 rounded out the Ephs’ top scores with two-day posts of 153, 153 and 155, respectively.

“I was pleased with the way our players approached the event with a sense of wanting to win the event, instead of just wanting to qualify for the Spring Championship,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. “That shows a motivation to attain something instead of trying not to lose something. Trinity played extremely well, especially on Sunday, and took it to the rest of the field.

“We’ll finish the fall portion of the season this weekend at the Hamilton Invitational and look to put up another strong showing,” Pohle said, referencing the fact that this coming weekend marks the end of the men’s fall season. “I’d like our players to top off a very good season with a positive effort which should be motivation enough to prep for a very important spring season.”

On Saturday and Sunday, the men will be out on the green again at the Hamilton Invite. The invitational will be the final event of the men’s fall season, which saw them top the Bowdoin Invite on Sept. 8-9 and the Williams Invite on Sept. 22-23. Their season will restart again in March, during which they will compete in the NESCAC championship, in which the team’s performance this past weekend secured its spot.