Men’s crew to rely on strong youth contingent

This fall, men’s crew is looking to outdo its success from last spring. Under the leadership of Head Coach Peter Wells ’79, the first varsity boat posted an undefeated spring season and placed seven senior rowers on the All-NESCAC First and Second Teams.

Losing All-NESCAC First-Team honorees Matt Crimp ’12, coxswain Michelle McRae ’12, co-captain Noah Schoenholtz ’12 and co-captain Alex Treco ’12 to graduation has placed the Ephs in a position to bring much of its rising talent into a more prominent role. In addition to the returning veterans of the team, the men boast four recruited rookies and 10 walk-ons as of press time. Typically, walk-ons are first-years who who have little or no rowing experience, but their willingness to learn provides a solid backbone for the upcoming year.

“Each year and season is a new one. We are heavily dependent on both guys who have rowed and many who had no prior rowing experience before arriving at Williams,” Wells said. “Due to the composition of our team with only three seniors, three juniors and over 17 sophomores, this year our team – no matter how we look at it – is young. What we are able to accomplish can and will only come from a group who works for one another, helps one another and realizes that, as a new family, the only way we can succeed is from the commitment we make on a daily basis off and on the water to one another.”

The focus of the upcoming fall season will be the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston on Oct. 20-21, which will be one of the most competitive races the men will compete in all year, despite the fact that it takes place in the less competitive fall half of the sport. Last year, the men claimed first in the collegiate eights event by a margin of 11 seconds, a huge margin by rowing standards.

This season, the crew hopes to defend its hard-won title. Co-captains John Gorman ’13 and Zach Tarlow ’13 will be leading the Ephs this fall, hoping to fill the shoes of their predecessors. After only a few weeks of practice on Lake Onota, the men are already showing signs that it will be in a very capable position to match and even exceed the standards set by last year’s crews.

The men’s first event of the season will be the Head of the Housatonic in Shelton, Conn., hosted by Div. I Yale this coming Saturday. Last year, the men were edged out by Yale’s 2V boat by less than a second, and they are seeking to avenge that loss. However, very few of the College’s Div. III teams get the opportunity to compete against Div. I competetition, and the crew’s strong performance over recent seasons still bodes well for this year.

“We’re really looking forward to the fall head racing season and seeing how we match up with other crews,” Tarlow said. “Everyone has been working hard, and we’re excited to get back out on the water.”