Ephs capture doubles title at ITA Regionals

Men’s tennis (1-0) notched several impressive performances at the USTA/ITA New England Men’s Tennis Tournament last weekend. On Sunday, the duo of Matt Micheli ’14 and co-captain Trey Meyer ’13 won the doubles competition in a tight contest. On Saturday, the men competed in singles play with Meyer, Micheli and Felix Sun ’13 advancing to the top 16.

In the semifinals, fourth-seeded Micheli and Meyer dispatched their teammates Sun and Alex Schidlovsky ’16 by a score of 8-4, while the No. 1 Bates team defeated the Williams duo of Bryan Chow ’13 and Brian Astrachan ’16 8-4 to advance to the finals. Micheli and Meyer faced stiff competition in the doubles final, facing off against the Bates tandem of Rob Crampton and Matt Bettles. After splitting a rigorous first two sets, the Ephs brought home the title by capturing the last set, bringing a final score of 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. Micheli and Meyer invested all of their effort into their three days of tournament play. “Trey and I tried to bring high energy at all times no matter the time of day or circumstance of the match,” Micheli said. “Whenever one of us was a little down, we would pick each other up – not to mention we had the entire team courtside supporting us.”

The doubles tournament win on Sunday marks the second consecutive year that Meyer has been part of the New England doubles champion tandem. Last year, the senior partnered with Chow to win a regional title. The two then went on to the National Small College Championships, where they won the NCAA Div. III title. This year’s regional title garners Meyer and Micheli a berth in the National Small College Championships as well as All-American honors.

“I was thrilled that we had three doubles teams in the semifinals and obviously proud that Trey and Matt won the tournament,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “It was also a great opportunity for the entire team to see some of the top competition in the country and identify areas they need to work on this fall and winter.”

Saturday’s singles play proved to be a little tougher for the men, as the last four Ephs in contention were eliminated in the round of 16. No. 4 seed Meyer fell to Bowdoin’s Noah Bragg 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, while No. 3 seed Sun dropped a match to Alex Johnston of Middlebury 6-3, 6-4. No. 7 Micheli lost to Palmer Campbell, also from Middlebury, 7-5, 6-3, and Zach Weiss ’13 fell to Nichols’ Brandon Roode.

The next competition for the Ephs will be on Friday at the Dartmouth Shootout, an event featuring several Div. I teams. Play will extend through Sunday and begin each morning at  9 a.m.

After the shootout, Micheli and Meyer will represent the Ephs in the doubles competition at  the USTA/ITA National Small College Championships held Oct. 11-14 at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center in Mobile, Ala., in which all of the eight Small College (NCAA Div. II and III, NAIA and Junior/Community College) singles and doubles champions from the USTA/ITA Regional Championships will compete.

“I think we really hit this tournament as a team,” Sun said. “Singles could have gone a little better, but we were able to pull out some truly special stuff in doubles. I’m really excited to see what we’ll be able to do as a team this season.”